Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some new locomotives, and I need help fixing them up! First up, a Mehano 4-8-2! It needs to be re wired and the trucks attached. How do I go about it? - :confused:

008.jpg

009.jpg

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
screws and solder....

ok seriously joking aside see if you can find a diagram of said loco and use that as a start point, if memory serves me the saying is "red is right, black is left" (others may chime in on this) but generally red is hot and black is always ground, but with model trains it may be different....

I would try and find a parts diagram to start with...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Berlin, but I am in need of other help(ers), espically with the other locomotives!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Looks as if a JST 2-Pin connector was used.One wire goes to each terminal on the motor. There should be a hole or something for a screw for the trucks. Have you checked around the gear cover? I say take a picture of it under side's and see if it won;t help.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diagrams? I've seen similar plug setups but I don't understand the system?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's Another Locomotive

The ALCO HH-660 from Wm. K. Walther's. The motor is not turning over, and I'm confused on the wire layout. HOSeeker was not a smidge of help aside from some pictures of the model. How do I get the motor to turn over and how do I wire it? - :confused:

The Pictures:

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

·
Registered
971 Posts
Is one side of the wheels on the front truck insulated? Shaygetz has one of these engines himself.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's get him on the line! - :D

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Does the motor spin by hand?

Have you tried applying power directly to each brush lead? When you do, and if it spins, then you know it's not the motor. Then comes the wire chasing fun.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The motor does turn over by hand! It just doesn't spin on current, even though I applied current to the brushes.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Just from looking at the pics it looks like some simple wiring/soldering and putting a few screws back in place. If the motor is kaput then now would be the best time to remotor it also.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sounds like either a dead motor, or weak magnets. Time for some multimeter wire chasing, or remotor it like Danny said.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may end up doing that (remotor), but I'd really like to have the line spew out of my mouth in regards to the original motor "It's alive!" I just came into possession of a suitable power truck from chriswis, but I'm sure I couldn't do the dual motor.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You might try sanding down the brushes to a flat surface to get rid of the curve developed with years of use. If that does not work and it still refuses to run a wire in the coil could have snapped making it useless without a rewire, or as mentioned a remotor. both require a lot of patience and work. It also needs a new paint job and possibly new trucks that grant better electrical pickup.

As for the steam engine it looks like it just needs a lot of screws and then a re-wire. The system that is setup in the tender for picking up power is completely wrong. Who ever wired it has both the negative and positive (from the black and red wire and clip) to two black wires that go to just one truck with both soldered onto one bolt, piece, ect. This will result in a short if you try to hook the red to one side of the motor and a black to the other. You can set the tender up so the back truck picks up negative current and the front picks up positive depending on how the trucks are made and how the wheels are made.

The engine should get either a positive or negative current from the wheels on it's own chassis. So what I would suggest is that you unsolder one wire from the back tender truck and move it to the front truck of the tender. Then either snip off the black or the red wire from the clip that hooks into the tender, then have just one wire going to (most likely) the top of the motor, and the other part of the current should be provided by the engine drivers. if this does not work then it is just a matter of mix and matching till a combination does. Also double check the trucks before snipping to make sure they are a type that will only pick up one polarity per truck.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Another Puzzle from the Box of Trains Time Forgot!

Okay, I kinda figured that the 4-8-2 needed a rewire in the tender. However, I've been contemplating a reworking of a smaller Mantua tender but that may be ill-advised. Oy vey. - :)

On to new business! I have just re-synched the motion on an old Bachmann Reading 2-8-0. There's a hitch though, it needs a motor! What kind of motor could be fitted to the old belle? Finding a Bowser rebuilding kit is out of the question, and I fixed the plastic cracking (a blessing for it too). What is advisable for a substitute motor? - :confused:

Here are some pictures:

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I posted some pictures in my previous post. - :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts