Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just got a call from a girl [in my case 514 area code ] ..
and all she wanted was to give me a phone number for a time limited free astrology call ... sounded good, perhaps too good, lol
any ways, the number was to a 1 900 number [can't remember it now], but she said it was free, not a regular 1 900 chargeable number ... i didn't call ...
she called back, saying the 'time was reserved' for me, and i should call right away ..
about a half hour later, i got another call, this time from a 'supervisor', asking how come didn't call?? i explained that i wasn't going to call a 900 number, no matter who said they are free, they hung up .

i -assume- this was a scam,

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Looks like it wasn't in the stars...you did right...
If you don't know the caller, it's likely
a scam...and 900s are not free.

I had one of the 'Microsoft' scam callers call back
when I told 'him' I wasn't interested. I Hung
up.

Some are persistent.

Don

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I had a 'technician' call me once (in a heavily Indian accent, sounded just like Apu Nahasapeemapetilon from the Simpson's): "Hello, sir. I am calling from Windows. I would like to let you be knowing that we have detected a problem with your computer. If you could be giving me online access to your computer we can fix this problem for you."
I told him I had a Mac and hung up on him. ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I get the "I'm calling from Windows and we've detected a problem with your computer" calls from time to time. I recently let the kid go on for a bit then I said "How can this be. I don't have a computer". Silence, then "You're kidding". Then he hang up.

I once told one that I knew where he lived and I was going to kill his mother. He asked why I would want to kill his mother. It was then I realized he didn't know he was making a scam call. He was no doubt led to believe he was performing a service by making the call. He was being scammed also.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The same millions who insist the world really is flat and that the mercury in your fillings is rotting your liver. Oh, and that vaccinations are GWB's plot extension for the Twin Towers.

They believe that the top 1% are paying their share of personal taxes, and that if we'd just beg them for another 1% our national debt would be erased within one tax year. Better, if we legislate them to pay 2% we'd all have free housing.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Well, the top 1% pay the taxes the forms say to pay. But back to astrology for a moment. Many people believe in it, and of course, Madam Zora found out the hard way what happened when you ignore what the stars tell you.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I got a call from NYC,(212) prefix, and the caller only spoke Chinese. After about 10 seconds of this, in my best Chinese accent, I yelled f+++= +++!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
This ties into the previous threads on phone calls and my policy is unchanged, if I don't recognize the caller ID, I don't answer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I actually received a call from a scammer that called ID'd my home number so essentially scammed myself - cut out the middle man!
Got a call from the windows people to fix my computer - my laptop had actually been in the shop for 2 weeks and they couldn't find what was wrong with it - I told them " great the shop hasn't been able to repair it for 2 weeks! - They hung up!
or "Sorry I use red hat linux" - they hang up

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
there always ubuntu, or any flavour of the week, lol
But I can't get Train Simulator 2019 to run with ubuntu!

And, I always answer when in a crowd, I say something like, "That' a nice offer, but I currently earn $150,000 per year."

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I really have to screw with these people. One time I answered with a bad Polish accent and spoke very loud into the phone. Another time I acted like I was in a fight.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's a scam, of course.
900 numbers are "pay" numbers.

That said...

I don't answer the phone.
You can't call me.

If the phone rings and it's a "known scam number", NoMoRobo cuts the call after the first ring.

If it's a scam call with a "spoofed" number (so that NoMoRobo will "let it pass"), it rings 4 times and goes to the answering machine. Since it's a scam call, they never leave a msg after the greeting and the call ends.

If I'm sitting here at the computer, and see that it's a junk number from caller ID, I just "lift and drop" the receiver, cutting the call.

Again, YOU can't call me.

The ONLY time I will pick up the receiver is if it's from a "known number" on the caller ID.

And sometimes I don't even bother answering in that case.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Apparently some government agency or perhaps even a
commercial business has done something to help
out. Until a few weeks ago I was getting 5 and 6
robo calls a day on my land line and about the
same on my cell. However, in recent days it
would be unusual to get more than one on either
phone.

Don

1 - 20 of 37 Posts