·
Registered
7,462 Posts
It's a scam, of course.
900 numbers are "pay" numbers.

That said...

I don't answer the phone.
You can't call me.

If the phone rings and it's a "known scam number", NoMoRobo cuts the call after the first ring.

If it's a scam call with a "spoofed" number (so that NoMoRobo will "let it pass"), it rings 4 times and goes to the answering machine. Since it's a scam call, they never leave a msg after the greeting and the call ends.

If I'm sitting here at the computer, and see that it's a junk number from caller ID, I just "lift and drop" the receiver, cutting the call.

Again, YOU can't call me.

The ONLY time I will pick up the receiver is if it's from a "known number" on the caller ID.

And sometimes I don't even bother answering in that case.
Hope no one needs to get ahold of you in an emergency.....:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Apparently some government agency or perhaps even a
commercial business has done something to help
out. Until a few weeks ago I was getting 5 and 6
robo calls a day on my land line and about the
same on my cell. However, in recent days it
would be unusual to get more than one on either
phone.

Don
Yes, the FCC has changed the rules to make it illegal to show an incorrect number to caller ID (not that it will make much difference to someone who is already breaking the law), and most of the major Telcomms have added software to block the spoofed numbers.

Interestingly, while spam calls to my cell have been reduced to less than one a day by Verizon blocking spoofed numbers, my home phone (Xfinity, which has NOT rolled out that technology) continues to be deluged with them

Like some others, I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, but I check voice mails immediately, just in case.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Make believe I'm calling you right now. What is your sign, so I can tell what's in the stars for you ? I already can see you like trains ! See what I mean ! And it's freeeeeee !!...

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i answer pretty much every call, i have no life, lol ....
i do enjoy keeping a scammer busy so that they don't get someone else money, at least for a few minutes .. i do have a pretty thick skin, lol ....don't get excited easily ..

·
Registered
258 Posts
A while back I tried something I'm sure I got from someone here on the board:

I got a call from "Microsoft" and acted like I was worried. I said give me a minute while I get to my PC. After a bit, the fellow asked me if I was ready. No, I said, the PC is on a different floor.

After a few more increasingly harried updates on where I was, I told him I was at my PC. And then I waited ...

Okay, you need to turn on your PC he told me. Ah, you should have been clearer.

And....??? he said. I sounded as sheepish as I could and said I didn't go on too much - how do I start it?

Turn on the On-Off switch. And where exactly will I find that? Oh, of course.

Now, what was my password...

Good fun. I finally told him this was taking too long and I would call him back :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
you could have kept him on the phone quite a while longer .... depends greatly on the time and initiative that you have available ..
+1. Suck up as much of there time and resources as I can. I had the Social Security scam guy on for 25 min's waiting on my friend (he was running late).

"Your name?"

"Dan Reston."

"We have a few of them. Birth date?"

"9/18/61"

"Social Security Number?"

"103-50-9623, where do I send the money?"

He was really upset when I said I have to go.

"No, no, where not done!"

"Yes we are." :)

I can't recall anyone I know in person named "Dan".

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
There is a new one around here.
Comes up as PSE&G an 800#.

They leave a message, Call right away something is very wrong with your account.

I checked reverse number and it can't find the number at all.

I answered once and they started telling me about my account.
I broke them off with a F_!# @&#^$^# A__H__LE!

End of calls to me. :D

They had a news report telling how many dummies sent them payment to "fix" the problem

There is a sucker born everyday.;)

I love it when they catch these scumbags.:smokin:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
public service gas and electric

one of the major providers of gas and electric in the states

·
Registered
762 Posts
If someone called me and claimed to be from Microsoft, I'd talk about the Seahawks ("Yeah Russell Wilson is Da Man, but with Baldwin gone . . . "), Mariners (Think they'll ever not suck again . . ."), and Blazers ("Resistance is futile. Give in to the dark side . . .") until they either hung up or said they weren't in Seattle - at which point I'd say "Then you're not from Microsoft" and hang up. :)

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
An old but renewed scam is a phone call from "Revenue Canada", with a warrant for your arrest for unpaid taxes...unless you pay up.....with I-tune cards......

And people have actually fallen for it.....one lady paid over $17,000 in i-tune cards because they had her so scared that she would go to jail....

And yet the Prime Minister will dodge jail for what he's done.....go figure.....:rolleyes:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts