Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me why the cabooses have a msrp of $109 and $149?

A caboose with a light in it at a msrp of $109.00, who is kidding who?

Dave

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just can't see a plastic caboose going for $109.00 and another with sound at $149.00. But who knows Athearn is really pushing the envelope on these models, nice but not that nice.

Dave

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Sound decoders typically sell for $90 and up, and then there is the electronics needed to mount the decoder within the shell of the car or locomotive. Labor is involved, as is the initial cost of the car or locomotive.

No one said this was a cheap hobby.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The cost of a prototype ICC caboose was $12,963. HO scale, divide by 87, is $149.
Scale pricing.
This may be fake information.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I decided to forgo the Genesis version, and went with the affordable RTR instead.
Could barely tell the difference at arm's length.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
These new cabooses look very nice.....but they still have plastic McHenry couplers.....for that price, you would think metal ones would be included.....:eek:hwell:

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Strange, that there aren't any premium quality RTR period cabs (woodsides, etc) produced... '30's/'40's/'50's.
Kits by LaserKit and AMB are very nice, but not exactly a snap to build, and they need paint & decal work.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Don't forget the Platinum series, and now Proto series, produced by Walthers that are wood sided.....very nicely detailed, at a very affordable price, if you can find them now....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I looked at the link for the $109 model and the first thing that jumped out at me is how shiny the plastic looks, it looks like a toy. The first thing I would have to do is dirty it up.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Can somebody tell me why the cabooses have a msrp of $109 and $149?

A caboose with a light in it at a msrp of $109.00, who is kidding who?

Dave

It's not just a caboose with a light in it.

Look at the details on the new caboose plus the long list of features (especially road-specific features) on the Athearn page(s).

It's multiple body variations matching specific roads.
It's lots of extra fine details (full underframe details, fine ladders, wire grabs, see-through deck and step grating, etched window screens (where appropriate), other road-specific details, etc.)
It's lighting controlled with DCC function decoders.
It's optional sound (i.e. diesel power generator) for the $149 version.

Compared to the $30 version which has only basic chunkier detail, tooling from several decades ago.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Yep, scale grabs, railings, ladders, brakewheels, smokejack supports, etc. Plus MU hoses and lift bars.
A lotta' detail there, that only scratch builders think of.
Only caveat is those awful McHenry couplers... but that's a quick-fix.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I realize I'm cheap, and my finances dictate that, but I'd have a serious discussion with myself to buy a $149 loco, let alone a caboose! Super-detail isn't that important to me (luckily), so I'd buy something a LOT less expensive.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I realize I'm cheap, and my finances dictate that, but I'd have a serious discussion with myself to buy a $149 loco, let alone a caboose! Super-detail isn't that important to me (luckily), so I'd buy something a LOT less expensive.
I have to agree with fire21, there is no way I would pay what Athearn is asking. Is it a nice caboose? Yes! But not for me. My last loco was only 150.00 with dcc and sound. $149 for a caboose? I think not.

Dave

·
Registered
312 Posts
In my humble opinion that is highway robbery. That’s the price of some reasonable quality locomotives. I like cabooses don’t get me wrong but I won’t be buying one anytime soon

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Good thing you aren't modeling European...you'd die of sticker shock on everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts