Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a BLI F7A/B set and a BLI F7A to be run in a ABA consist. The F7A/B set runs fine without any issues but the single F7A runs much slower at the same throttle positions as the F7A from the set. I can only match speed by making dramatic changes to the CV's and am only able to match speeds at one throttle setting. Even after doing a full CV reset, the second F7A is sluggish. I'm likely going to return these sets to the supplier since they're brand new. (is Athearn Genesis a better product then BLI?)

My question is there anything I can do at this point that could be a simple fix? The wheels look clean.

P.S. These are DCC/Sound units.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
There's no reason for the second unit to run that poorly. It is assembled incorrectly, or the lubes are missing (not likely, but who knows, maybe it's too much lube...it happens), or if it's old stock, say 8 years, the lubes have lost too much volatiles, and if it's a P3 it may have a dud decoder. A factory reset is often the first thing you should do whenever you get a locomotive, no matter from where it was sent to you, dealer, importer, or re-seller. Saves a LOT of aggravation if you just deal with that right off the bat. The reason is that diesels, especially, are often consisted/MU'd together with at least one other, and people send them off forgetting to un-MU them.

When you reset them, make sure you restore CV29 on BOTH diesels to the same setting initially so that they get the same speed step response to the throttle commands. Also, you have to individually set CV2 (V-Start) to a value where each locomotive just begins to move perceptibly when you enter a single speed step to the throttle.

Yet another factor: as locomotives' drives warm up after five or so minutes, their CV2 setting will often be too aggressive. As the lubes get squishy and the drive warms, it takes less voltage to operate at a given speed. But all locos are different that way.

You could remove the screws holding it together if the shell is held that way, remove the shell, looks for excess/missing lubes, a wire displaced or rubbing and slowing things down, a misaligned thingie or three...whatever jumps out at you. Do also inspect the axles in their trucks. If you remove them, do they turn freely?

You could ask for a phone call back to you from a tech. While on the phone, he'll ask you to perform a couple of tests, and if it simply doesn't improve, he'll issue you a return order and you'll have to wait for it to come back repaired, probably six-eight weeks. If it helps, I have sent four steamers back to BLI over the years, none since 2010, and every one came back fully restored. They even replaced a decoder for free and fixed MY ERROR when I installed an axle reversed in a Niagara tender and killed the decoder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts