Model Train Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
There are lots of ways you could do it. A lot of folks seem to like silicon caulking, I use low temp hot glue. Both are removable with just a bit of pressure. Especially from a wood base.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Vette-kid

You seem to be my best source my name is Jack what is your or is that against forum rules?

So with the hot glue I am assuming it would be spot glued and once I have the layout I could take it up before I store the platform. I think that would make my life and storage a lot easier.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ha, I just happen to be around and have time to answer. I'm relatively new and there are a multitude of folks here smarter than myself. I dont know about forum times, but I prefer to stick to my screen name. Something of an occupational hazard I suppose.

Hot glue will come up, it takes a little pressure (prying) though. I'm not sure how you plan to store the platform, but you could just keep the track on it if your keeping it in one piece. Otherwise I might excitement with silicon adhesives or hot glue and see which one works best. You don't need a real strong hold. Just enough to keep it still.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A couple of things, the platform will be painted white(Christmas display), and if I can easily remove the track it will be easier to store and cleaner as this will be store in a 160 year old house's basement. The platform will definitely be two pieces 48 x 23.5.

I think I might play with the two options to see which one holds the best and easiest to take up.

My next step is to go to HobbyTown and buy track.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts, there will be a 2 x4 substructure to fully support the platform. I am just trying to get platform built to layout the track and the village streets. Too much money tied up in the houses to not keep it from collapsing.

As you can see in the picture I have 4 pieces of kato track how does it get attached I am thinking some will stay attached while the joints will need to be removable. Flex track had nails in the ties I do not see any holes in the kato.
While there are several methods, most commonly, track is attached with latex caulk. "Roadbed track", like the Kato Unitrack you're using, tends to be a sounding board for the noise of moving trains. It also doesn't have much bottom surface area that actually contacts the platform. A thin bead of caulk along each edge will hold the track in place, and also help insulate the track roadbed from the platform, which is an even more effective sounding board.
Caulk needs to set up overnight for the strongest bond. Track fastened down with caulk can be removed with a putty knife coated with WD-40. Caulk is even available in a gray color close to the color of the "ballast" piece of gray plastic under each section of Kato track.
Your track pieces are right out near the edge. It might be safer to move the track in away from the edge, so a train is less likely to fall to the floor and get damaged.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan

·
Registered
823 Posts
Attaching the Unitrack is unnecessary, especially if this is a temporary layout. I’ve built several large Kato layouts and never attached the track to the sub-roadbed. Ran them for years with no problems.
There are mounting holes in it. They access through the bottom and can be drilled out for fine nails or screws. Again, unnecessary.
Double sided tape if you really are insistent on fastening it down.
HO Unitrack is made in 14 9/16”, 16 7/8” and 19 1/4” radii as well as 21 5/8” (and above) but what’s in the catalog and what’s available will be two different things. There have been supply shortages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I went to hobby town today and my layout is over 150 using Bachman unitrack, si I think I am back to ho flextrack and cork bed any sites with good prices and/or veterans discounts

Looking for 5 36 inch tracks 6 36 in beds at least 1 rerailer and a power section

·
Registered
806 Posts
Flex track is all I’ve used on my layout. Takes longer to put together but it also looks more realistic. As far as flex track and road bed goes I don’t know of any websites that are exactly cheap. I got all of mine from the train show where I was buying sections of flex track in bundles of 5 for $10 a bundle which is far lower than I have seen anywhere else and it was all brand new track. I used Midwest cork products road bed. Glued it down with wood glue and laid my track. If you’re going to ballast the track I would consider using Arizona rock and minerals ballast. It’s cheap and real rock. While gluing down the ballast it doesn’t really move around either

·
Registered
823 Posts
I went to hobby town today and my layout is over 150 using Bachman unitrack, si I think I am back to ho flextrack and cork bed any sites with good prices and/or veterans discounts

Looking for 5 36 inch tracks 6 36 in beds at least 1 rerailer and a power section
Bachmann makes EZ track. Kato makes Unitrack. If you go on ebay and search Kato 3-115 you will find that set brand new for $78.63. Free shipping.
That’s with 21 5/8” curves and enough straight track for a 4x8 table which is bigger than you need. Maybe flex and cork would be cheaper, I don’t know but just saying, Unitrack can be had a lot cheaper than $150.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Will the 21 5/8 kato circle fit in 48 x 53 if yes how many pieces, when I laid out the Bachman 18 inch in the store it fit with 12 curves and 4 straight, I do not see a comparable kato. Kato does seem to be less expensive.

·
Registered
806 Posts
They are 22.5deg sections, so 16 to make a loop. 19.25" radius would fit easily. 21-5/8" would be tight.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Attached is the Kato HO track page from the catalog. You can use the Kato numbers (2-260 eg.) to search. Using this info, you should be able to design a 4x4 layout.
As I mentioned previously, there has been a supply shortage so some pieces may be hard to find. Best of luck.
The arrows were for my own use, but the 2-260 and 2-270 will probably be the ones most useful to you.
8B8484F1-A24A-4F62-88D6-527345BCC160.jpeg

21 - 33 of 33 Posts