Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all, just got the Bachmann DCC. works ideal for my small layout - plenty of power. I have two DCC ready Bachmann GP40's and next week a chip for my Athearn BNSF GP60m. I have done testing and three trains run fine at this time. I did keep the accessory/switch power separate from the track power - no issues whatsoever. The Bachmann Trains do NOT work well downhill - something about coils?, but boy they work great pulling uphill.

thanks and enjoy

jason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzqSL23MPY

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Swig,

Looking great! My kids enjoyed watching the video. We all liked the touch of the little off-road vehicle in the rocky hills. And are the street lamps near the FedEx warehouse new?

Thanks for sharing,

TJ

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, the off-road vehicle is an actual rc car. it will crawl around ok - i plan on making a road to the plateau for it to climb. the street lamps are new as well as the crossing lights. i had a light go out on me - had to change thins a bit. three new lights in warehouse as well.

the idea for my layout - Swig's Colorado/Utah Express - came from many years of trips through Glenwood Canyon and the Western slope of Colorado/Utah, quite a surreal landscape. the wife and i found out it's a 7 hour trip from Denver to Glenwood via The Rocky Mountains:thumbsup:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the scenery is almost done. please explain stationary decoders? i really like the way the switches work now, what would be the benefits? and would they work with the very simple Bachmann DCC?
to do list:
1. add ballast
2. add sand/lighter paint to flat areas in mountain section (so it looks like real desert)
3. add lake and stream from camping area to edge of layout (stream goes under two sections of track
4. add arch
5. and most important - remind myself that i will never be done

·
Registered
266 Posts
That santa fe looks really nice, i like the color scheme on those ones rather than the gray and red

zomgz is that a rock island box car i see?

·
Registered
38 Posts
For only being a few months into the hobby, you have an amazing setup! Very nice track and video Swig!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
hey all, just got the Bachmann DCC. works ideal for my small layout - plenty of power. I have two DCC ready Bachmann GP40's and next week a chip for my Athearn BNSF GP60m. I have done testing and three trains run fine at this time. I did keep the accessory/switch power separate from the track power - no issues whatsoever. The Bachmann Trains do NOT work well downhill - something about coils?, but boy they work great pulling uphill.

thanks and enjoy

jason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzqSL23MPY
So, just an fyi, Bachmanns need the BEMF set on DCC. This will take care of the speeding up downhill concern. BEMF essentially keeps the speed of a loco constant wether up or downhill.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Why did you sell the rock boxcar? When/if i get a rock island engine and matching rolling stock, i will post a vid on youtube, might be a few months tho.

·
Registered
344 Posts
my Athearn GP60m does not buck when coming downhill - no matter how many cars are hitched (up to 24). I think it is the quality of the engine depending on the hill grade
My Athearn was the same way, it was perfect out of the box. The Bachmanns will work just as well if you set your BEMF, trust me, try it. You can always set back to default. It takes about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
ok dozer, i have looked everywhere and can't seem to find info on programming the BEMF with my ez command. how do i do this? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
jason
I didn't realize you were using the EZ command controller, sorry. The EZ doesn't allow you to change CV's, so what options that leaves you with is taking your engine to a LHS that can program them for you, or to find someone with another DCC system that can program them. Heck, if push comes to shove you can pull the decoders and send them to me and I'll program them for you.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, i'll call my hooby store guy, im sure he'll take care of me. thanks for the info. i still love the bachamnn dcc - even though it is limited.

another quick question - my athearn gets kinda warm when running - is this normal? the bachmanns seem don't get warm at all. it was a digitrax decoder my lhs put in for me.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
all decoders get warm. being enclosed in the shell, coolling is limited for them.

as for EZ command, that's exactly why i believe it is insufficient... constantly going somewhere to program basic functions would drive me nuts. acceleration for example, i can't quite figure out which one i like better . also remember, BEMF should be off if you consisting locos. (oes bachmann do consist at all? or is it universal consist?)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks, i do consist every once in a while. when i do, the bachmanns together run fine, no tugging - i cannot consist the athearn with the bachmanns becuase the speed is different. i think i should take all three to the lhs and have him program them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts