Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 65 years running my many layouts with the old DC rheostat, Ive finally switched to DCC. I bought a cheap NCE system and so far I really like it. But I am having trouble with consisting a pair of N scale Kato F7 units. Each unit runs great and the same speed on their own, but when I try to consist the lead unit runs away and the trailing unit barely moves. I follow the prompts on the screen but with no luck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Couple them together and run them with separate addresses. If they run at the same speed as each other you shouldn't have any problem.

You could also start getting into the CV's and tweaking relative parameters to match speeds, but I think the former would be easier.

I had a pair of Athearn IC GP-38's that ran at nearly identical speed back in my DC days. It was great to watch those two in front of a coal consist.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't agree with Michael... Run them at the same time with separate addresses, but not coupled..Because if one is way different in speed or direction you could break a coupler...
I have NCE PowerCab. But I've no layout a long time now due to having to relocate 2 times....and I'm rusty with the programming of it... Unless one of the units or NCE is faulty in some way, you should be able to take their addresses and put them in consist.
One thought I have: Is one or both locos still factory default address 3 ? Or, have you given at least one of them it's own address (usually the number on the side of the cab)..Each engine has to have a different address than the other to do a consist... "Consist Locos" is on your screen. Follow directions here and/or in NCE manual...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, and yes each loco has its own address. I tried the consist button again and followed the screen prompts, and voila, it finally works. Yeah!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could tell you, but I dont know. I kept doing it over and over and it finally worked. Thats how me and electronics work! Most of the time I have no clue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts