Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hard work of searching has paid off again, this time on Craigslist. Just picked up an Athearn F59phi(DCC quick plug equipped) in Metrolink livery with a 4 car consist of Bombardier bi-levels for $140! My question is for the cab control car. Since it is not equipped with working lights how would I add them since I plan running it in push mode? How would I sound to it too? Already know what I need for the locomotive just not the cab car. Would love a P2 horn for it. Any advice I world appreciate. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
First off you would need a wheelset that has pickups on it to grab some track power, if the model does not already have them. Next try to see if there is a lighting kit available, some times there is some times there is not. If not then you will simply have to build one yourself. Radio shack has a small selection of LEDs that may work for you and they also have some PC boards that you can cut to suit your needs so you may be able to fabricate something that will fit in there and light up the cars and cab.

Massey

P.S. there are tons of online venders that can get you LEDs in many colors for the interior if RS does not have what you need.

·
Admin
45,119 Posts
You can buy LEDs much cheaper from on-line sources. Two of my favorite parts vendors are Digikey and Mouser. Between those two, you can buy almost any electronic part you might want at a very good price with very low shipping/handling costs, typically only a couple of bucks for small USPS orders.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A Metrolink cab car only has a control stand to operate it as if it were a locomotive so the only sounds of any consequence would be from the AC unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info on the lights. Think a LoKsound decoder would work? I heard with a programmer you can add custom sounds to it. If that's true then i might be able to use the sound files from FPM's surfliner route for microsoft train simulator.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
That or use the Digitrax version. I have not used any ESu decoders but have used Digitrax and found them very stable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts