Model Train Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
One thing I noticed is when you go on it opens with some threads like Union Station or HO Scale and gives the last post as 14 or 15 hours ago. But if you go on the Specific Forums list it will show as a moment ago or 2 hours ago. No big deal but why the inconsistency?
I'm guessing it takes the S/W a bit to update all the page indications for all the users. THe new S/W is actually an improvement over the old. The prior S/W wouldn't update some indications for hours ... such as marking threads as "read" after I reviewed them or updating the last posting.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
One thing I noticed is when you go on it opens with some threads like Union Station or HO Scale and gives the last post as 14 or 15 hours ago. But if you go on the Specific Forums list it will show as a moment ago or 2 hours ago. No big deal but why the inconsistency?
I think the "New Posts" shows you when the first new post was made, the thread list shows you the latest post time.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I'm guessing it takes the S/W a bit to update all the page indications for all the users. THe new S/W is actually an improvement over the old. The prior S/W wouldn't update some indications for hours ... such as marking threads as "read" after I reviewed them or updating the last posting.
New SW works really well for me.. The status changes as soon as I look at something.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Not impressed with the new format. I find it harder on the eyes in general, clumsier to navigate requiring more clicks to accomplish the same navigation compared to the old format. Cluttered with more ads and with less actual railroad stuff on each page. It appears that about 30-40% of my screen is ads

·
Admin
43,470 Posts
My biggest complaint is still the size of the fonts with no adjustment possible. Also, no font color options, I can't think of a single other forum software package that doesn't have both of those features.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cluttered with more ads and with less actual railroad stuff on each page. It appears that about 30-40% of my screen is ads ...
Easy enough to fix .. here I used an ad blocker so I basically don't see any ads, and I changed [in firefox] my screen size to 120 per cent to get rid of the garbage on the right ..

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Except that as you've found, right at the top of the "garbage on the right" is most of the information that you've been saying isn't here anymore....

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Not impressed with the new format. I find it harder on the eyes in general, clumsier to navigate requiring more clicks to accomplish the same navigation compared to the old format. Cluttered with more ads and with less actual railroad stuff on each page. It appears that about 30-40% of my screen is ads
Well, your opinion is your opinion.

While the placement of the ads is different (middle of the posts), there are actually fewer per page than the old format. Ignoring ads in the middle of the page is something you get used to. So many sites have them these days that I don't even notice.

As far as number of clicks, my personal opinion is that the layout is far more logical, and requires far less clicking to do the things I do routinely.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
For me, the black back ground really helps reading the postings. My ad blocker must be working OK since I don't notice any ads. I really don't care for the sequence to post photos but eventually I will get use to it.

Bill

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
... So many sites have them these days that I don't even notice.
Ditto.

... I really don't care for the sequence to post photos but eventually I will get use to it.

Bill
Yes, a little convoluted. After a bit, it becomes second nature.

Everyone must relearn various functions. But the occasional user may forget between activity so it's frustrating for them.

·
Admin
43,470 Posts
Easy enough to fix .. here I used an ad blocker so I basically don't see any ads, and I changed [in firefox] my screen size to 120 per cent to get rid of the garbage on the right ..
Except that carries on to the next site I use, so I have to keep screwing with it. If it were a site setting, it would always be set in my preferences.

I don't have anything I want to lose on the sides, see below.

·
Registered
64 Posts
actually the width [in percentages] is site specific, it does not carry over to the next site [with firefox], i have some at 120 %, a few at 110 %, most are just at 100%, one at 90%

Except that carries on to the next site I use, so I have to keep screwing with it. If it were a site setting, it would always be set in my preferences.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts