Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,304 Posts
Good idea about "Dark Mode"....something good will come of this!! Much easier on the eyeballs!!
Use the white mode to wake you up, lol.
Then switch to the dark.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just my opinion, but I am not a fan of this new format. I didn't see anything wrong with the old one. Could someone tell me the advantage of going to this!!
I"m not a fan of it either. I didn't even recognize the forum and the pictures make it look European.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Dark mode is nice, but "Recommended Reading" is an annoyance. And I still have not figured out a good way to detect if I've already read a topic. There seems to be some way that the topic ICON changes to reflect if you've clicked on an elusive "Mark all read" button. But using the How old data is a manual nightmare. You first write done the time your viewing the posts, then the next time you enter you use that data to figure out manually how long it been so you use that number to determine whether you have read all the posts. A classing example of the programmer missing a key need of the users. I keep plugging away at it will probably discover a solution.

Biggest gripe is the useless and obnoxious add filled "Recommended Reading", should be an optional setting.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Makes for a great advertising platform doesn't it.

Ad-Blocker + takes care of all the unwanted crap.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Dark mode is nice, but "Recommended Reading" is an annoyance. And I still have not figured out a good way to detect if I've already read a topic. There seems to be some way that the topic ICON changes to reflect if you've clicked on an elusive "Mark all read" button. But using the How old data is a manual nightmare. You first write done the time your viewing the posts, then the next time you enter you use that data to figure out manually how long it been so you use that number to determine whether you have read all the posts. A classing example of the programmer missing a key need of the users. I keep plugging away at it will probably discover a solution.

Biggest gripe is the useless and obnoxious add filled "Recommended Reading", should be an optional setting.
At my first login on the new style, I marked everything as read. Now threads with new posts snow up in Boldface and have a big white dot to the left of the title [Edit -- it's not a big white dot, although it looks like it to my old eyes. It's actually two stacked dialog boxes]. Shows up very well (at least in Dark Mode). It also appears to take me to the first unread post when I open the thread the second time.

OK, the recommended reading section is a waste of screen space. I I don't particularly care what some algorithm thinks I should read. It seems to just be a list of the most frequently viewed topics anyway. But it only has one ad in the middle of it... hardly qualifies as "loaded with" ads. As I said before, I've trained myself to ignore these embedded ads anyway, since they show up on most of the websites I visit.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What I've learned so far from wandering around and advice in other threads...

Use this for your bookmarked starting page: https://www.modeltrainforum.com/forums/
That will list ALL the groups in the order we are all used to.

Once you get to that page, click on the (NEW) icon at the top-right, then click on the button "Mark all read". This way the next time you come into the forum, only the new threads will be in bold type, the older threads with no new messages will be in normal type.

Apparently some of you are seeing a ton of ads. I would suggest installing "uBlock Origin" (make sure you match that name exactly, there are copycats that don't work as well). This adblocker does a great job of getting rid of the garbage, and they don't accept payments to allow ads through like some others do.

I do have to say I like the handling of images within threads better now -- just showing a thumbnail and letting you click the image for a larger version if you want. On the other hand, judging by a lot of common complaints, there are a lot of things about the new format that are simply not intuitive. When I first joined this group I had no trouble wandering around and understanding where I needed to click to get most things taken care of. As a software developer myself I feel I have every right to point out that if you don't consult with the regular users for input about major changes, then you're going to run into a lot of problems where something that seems intuitive for the developer will completely mystify the general user base.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with Don (above) that the Euro train home heading pic needs to be changed to a US RR scene. (Ironically though, the engine was made by, I think, the USRA, or maybe Lima, or Baldwin ..and was shipped to many countries around the world back then... But those 4 wheel wagons ! Ugh !

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm an IT guy by trade. I facilitate change. I can navigate the new forum format. Having said that, this format was developed in a vacuum with no input/testing from anyone outside the development group.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Well just a few thoughts after one day.
The Recommended Reading has got to go!!!!!!!
The new post thing seems to work OK so far.

Don't like the thumbnails at all, I format my text around the pics and clicking a thumbnail
brings up all the pics in the thread and nothing makes sense because the text is missing.

The banner pic is really stupid, why an European train????
Love the dark moad, much easer to read.

Some other things I miss but they are no big deal.
It is different but getting use to it and think things will smooth out eventually.
We'll see.

Magic

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with Don (above) that the Euro train home heading pic needs to be changed to a US RR scene. (Ironically though, the engine was made by, I think, the USRA, or maybe Lima, or Baldwin ..and was shipped to many countries around the world back then... But those 4 wheel wagons ! Ugh !
Yes, but this is a bit different. Should they have warned us you bet, but this Forum has much better security and trust me after running several forums myself, you have a pantload of spammers trying to get in every hour. This forum Verticalscope software and is used by quite a few people and keeps the bad guys out
Bottom line it is change and while people simply don't like change, I would bet in less than a month this will be a great forum.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
...This forum Verticalscope software ...
Not quite sure what you mean by that. This forum now uses the XenForo software platform, where previously it was vBulletin.

VerticalScope is an internet media company that hosts this forum and many others.

The Recommended Reading at the bottom comes with XenForo. Not sure if it can be modified to remove it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I don't like the new format. In the upper right corner there are 3 dots. Click on it and select dark mode. It seems easier to read.
Ed

EdC;

If you mean the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the form home page, I clicked on them and got a drop down menu, but it doesn't have "dark mode" as one of the items listed. The three vertical dots at the upper right of any given response only yield "report." I assume this is the new format's version of "report this image" on the old, and much better! format. What am I doing wrong, or not doing, that is necessary to get to the "dark mode" option?

Traction Fan

·
Registered
714 Posts
The overall look is clean but it's a little too spread out for me. I did prefer the tighter topics listing of the old format. Maybe somewhere between them...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I found another interesting tidbit. I missed the old format button that jumped to the top ot the page. Well the new format has something that works! If you start to scroll up, an arrow button appears way over on the right, you click it and you jump to the top!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
According to the front end, this is a Class 84 built between 1932 and 1937 in Germany. Many were damaged during the war and most ended up in East Germany post-war.

I like it.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts