Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
EdC;

If you mean the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the form home page, I clicked on them and got a drop down menu, but it doesn't have "dark mode" as one of the items listed. The three vertical dots at the upper right of any given response only yield "report." I assume this is the new format's version of "report this image" on the old, and much better! format. What am I doing wrong, or not doing, that is necessary to get to the "dark mode" option?

Traction Fan
Traction Fan, Did you find Dark Mode? Make sure you are signed in. When I click on the 3 dots it creates a drop down menu and dark mode is at the bottom.
Ed

·
Registered
248 Posts
Traction Fan, Did you find Dark Mode? Make sure you are signed in. When I click on the 3 dots it creates a drop down menu and dark mode is at the bottom.
Ed
Just my opinion, but I am not a fan of this new format. I didn't see anything wrong with the old one. Could someone tell me the advantage of going to this!!
my comment also - too complex, probably won't be on much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have absolutely no problem with the new format. Regardless, I'm just as grateful as always to have the forum available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with Don (above) that the Euro train home heading pic needs to be changed to a US RR scene. (Ironically though, the engine was made by, I think, the USRA, or maybe Lima, or Baldwin ..and was shipped to many countries around the world back then... But those 4 wheel wagons ! Ugh !
I think it should be an Australian loco.

But more seriously, it may not be too difficult to have a randomly selected loco shot (i.e. from different parts of the world) in that position every time the screen is reloaded or refreshed. After all, I didn't come here because I was looking for a US model rail forum, I came because I was looking for a model rail forum.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Kinda makes you wish they had kept the old banner, eh? :p You know what they say.....careful what you wish for.....;)

Who really cares anyway? The good stuff is in the posts and discussions, not the banner.....

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

But more seriously, it may not be too difficult to have a randomly selected loco shot (i.e. from different parts of the world) in that position every time the screen is reloaded or refreshed. After all, I didn't come here because I was looking for a US model rail forum, I came because I was looking for a model rail forum.
For what it's worth, from a coding standpoint you could just as easily identify each visitor's country by their IP address, and use that to serve up a banner with trains from that region. Easy to do, but it does put more strain on the servers.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I agree, flyerrich, however it is much more click intensive. I like the dark mode, but its difficult to tell the unread (bolder) type from lesser read typeface. and the "recommended reading" is a real negative.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The new format doesn't bother me much. I'll inevitably get used to it regardless of whether I like change. I don't at now 57yrs old. I discovered the dark mode. I'm good with that. It works for me. I will however agree with others about the 'suggested reading' bit. It needs to go Asap. The profile trophy thing? What's the real purpose of that? (Lmao with tongue in cheek.) Yes, the euro train bannar needs to go too. Show me a big old steamer pulling freight.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Fine. But this forum is based my country. There must be Euro RR forums. I don't mean you shouldn't post in this one..I'm only talking about the image since I'd guess the great majority of members are in US prototype..
If admin. is perusing this, this is my aim and not a question of whether Euro rail is real or valid to another modeler...
I do like a bit of British steam and how they configure their trackage, real and model..But I don't wish it to be the images for a US forum..Dat's all I'm sayin'....

·
16,665 Posts
I don't like the new format. In the upper right corner there are 3 dots. Click on it and select dark mode. It seems easier to read.
Ed
Oh ... too funny. At first glance, I thought "dark" meant incognito. Browse and troll at will! ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having just joined this Forum, I have to say that navigation is fairly easy with the new format. I did see how it was for a week; or, so before the change and do feel that the new Format is confusing! My big thing is why do I need to push the button with the five horizontal lines to get to the forum as it was? The truth for me is that confuser people believe that everything must change regularly! That this is considered to be what progress is all about. I have to tell myself that I am a luddite and will never understand the current thinking! So, I say: "Luddites Unite", the world has changed far beyond our comprehension and the fact that we understood at one time how efficiency and ease of understanding worked, doesn't mean we do now!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
i wish it were easier to see new or unread posts rather than simply emboldening the text

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
i wish it were easier to see new or unread posts rather than simply emboldening the text
There's a New button at the top of the page in the black banner. For someone who might not have been on the forum in a while I suggest clicking on New, then Mark All Read. The next time you log in, click on New and you will be seeing a list of only those posts added since your last login.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by that. This forum now uses the XenForo software platform, where previously it was vBulletin.

VerticalScope is an internet media company that hosts this forum and many others.

The Recommended Reading at the bottom comes with XenForo. Not sure if it can be modified to remove it.
Sure doesn't look like this boating forum that I have belonged to for a long time,...

...and uses that same software????

(i can't even get the link to that boating site to work correctly????)

41 - 60 of 85 Posts