Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing with my train today I noticed that engine will derail on one of my turnouts. Only when backing. I can back the seven car train through the turnout with no problems. When engine gets there it derails. Slow speed backing.
I can live with it. Just hope it is not something I have done. Or my layout.
I turned train around and ran the layout the other way. Forward and backward through all three turnouts with no problems.
Track is Lional FasTrack.
Engine is Lional Penn. Flyer 0-8-0.
Turnout is LT 036 manual.
All curves are 036-45.
Off switch is one 036 11.25 then one 036 22.5 then 10 inch straights.
Thanks
20200725_125426_resized_2.jpg

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you have a similar switch, swap it out with the problem one. See if your problem follows the switch. If it does, the switch is faulty.

Larry

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have another LT just 80 inches down. I didn't think of changing them out. The other LT will only have rail cars backing through. Thanks

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
When I have a problem like that, I put my eye right next to the problem area and run the train very slowly so I can see exactly where and what the problem is. Could be picking the points or climbing the guard rail. I had a box car that would derail frequently at a switch. Turned out the gauge of the box car wheels was too narrow and the flange climbed the guard rail.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Larry, changing them out worked. Don't know why I did not think of that, but I didn't . Where I put the one I only have to back cars through, so it works there. I did try just the engine and still it won't back through. Them turnouts were $45 each. I bought them 200 miles north of me cause they were $5 less than my hobby shack. Live and learn.

Lehigh, I did get down close with a boxcar rolling by hand and watch the wheels go through both turnouts. It did look like the wheels on one side were close to coming off, but they don't. May have something to do with the four axles on the engine. I will try to watch the engine down close in the morning.
Thanks everybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts