Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I have New Haven Power by J. W. Swanberg. This covered everything in one volume, including not just locos, but doodlebugs, steamships, tugboats, everything. From the text you posted, it's information is a little more in depth, too. But it has one drawback: it's all black and white, and Mr. Timko's book seems to have more information than just locos.

Ever been to Maybrook, NY? Used to be a booming railroad town, where the New Haven interfaced with the New York Central. Now, it's a shell of it's former self.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might've been there when I was a kid. Not sure I remember.
My grandfather was a NH conductor, and he took me on railway tours a lot.
I basically grew up on trains, but the early years are a blur. I do remember that I had a ride in the cab of a 44 tonner when I was seven, but I don't recall what yard it was in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I used to work in those places (New Haven, Cedar Hill, Maybrook), and ran some of the engines in the pics (FL-9's). The old Alcos were before my time, but I remember them going by on freights as a kid.

In fact, I'm the last engineer who hired out in as a fireman in New Haven (1979), who actually ran an engine in Maybrook yard (that was in 1991, only one track left in the yard). There won't be any more...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts