Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have often thought about getting into model railroad and was thinking of finally making the plunge. I am undecided on the scale. I am a current 28mm miniature tabletop gamer and I would like to incorporate some of those miniatures into my setup. My wife thinks it is a cool idea and will help me get the go ahead to do this.

Now the thing is, many of those miniatures are no longer "28mm" and really are 32mm,35mm and even 40mm. I have some Batman miniatures that are about 35mm that would look really cool in a train setup. My research indicates that these miniatures are closer to 1:54 scale so I was torn between O scale or S scale but from my research S scale is pretty rare.
O kind of turns me off due to the huge turn radius of the rails and the 3 rail system.

My area to work with is 4 feet wide on one side, 16 feet long and I can do 7 feet wide on the other wall. (The room is 16x12 so that is what I get to use). My goal is more to make a cool diorama then to run trains but I would like to have a train loop through. Wiring the whole thing up with electricity with working street lights, etc with cool buildings is what intrigues me.

So any advice on scale? Thanks

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I believe your miniatures are too large for even O scale, however, there is so much in that scale that not to scale I don't see that it would matter rmuch. Especially for a toy train type layout.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wargaming plus miniatures, now you're talking my language! I actually considered going O scale and using my sci-fi wargaming city as the scenery, but my my son wanted HO. I still hold out hope for a side layout of cyberpunk O-27 someday.

As for your issue,
Here's a scale vs "mm" chart that you will find usefull:

Regarding for scale, if you have any true-scale 28mm (1/56) they will be close, but might appear to be a bit big next to S scale/gauge. Still, they don't look bad next S, especially if you like the "trains in the background" vibe. If you were just putting a train through a wargames table, S would be a fine choice as to the person used to very-compressed wargaming terrain, S would seem to be the right size.

The next larger set of gauge/scale is the various varieties of O Gauge. Ideally O scales in at 1/48, but this is not always the case.

Classic 0-27 trains ( O gauge made to run on 27" curves) are compressed in size. They come in somewhere between 1:56 and 1:48 and actually scale up quite well with miniatures in the 28-34mm (sole to eyeline) scale. Many of the classic structures for this scale (llike "Plasticville") are similarly compressed and will scale well with wargaming scenery you have.

True scale 0 models will be 1/48 scale (or 1/43 for some european trains). Note that these will also be a good deal more expensive than O-27 models.

You mentioned Batman models. They are a reasonably heroic (exagerated proportion) 32mm. This is just a smidge less than 1/48 which would work very well with O-27 or full O scale, especially with the height added by their bases.

All this to say, if you want to put your miniatures in the layout, O is the answer for you, the only question is whether you want to go with a the compressed, classic O-27 or the more scale accurate and more expensive O.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wargaming plus miniatures, now you're talking my language! I actually considered going O scale and using my sci-fi wargaming city as the scenery, but my my son wanted HO. I still hold out hope for a side layout of cyberpunk O-27 someday.

As for your issue,
Here's a scale vs "mm" chart that you will find usefull:

Regarding for scale, if you have any true-scale 28mm (1/56) they will be close, but might appear to be a bit big next to S scale/gauge. Still, they don't look bad next S, especially if you like the "trains in the background" vibe. If you were just putting a train through a wargames table, S would be a fine choice as to the person used to very-compressed wargaming terrain, S would seem to be the right size.

The next larger set of gauge/scale is the various varieties of O Gauge. Ideally O scales in at 1/48, but this is not always the case.

Classic 0-27 trains ( O gauge made to run on 27" curves) are compressed in size. They come in somewhere between 1:56 and 1:48 and actually scale up quite well with miniatures in the 28-34mm (sole to eyeline) scale. Many of the classic structures for this scale (llike "Plasticville") are similarly compressed and will scale well with wargaming scenery you have.

True scale 0 models will be 1/48 scale (or 1/43 for some european trains). Note that these will also be a good deal more expensive than O-27 models.

You mentioned Batman models. They are a reasonably heroic (exagerated proportion) 32mm. This is just a smidge less than 1/48 which would work very well with O-27 or full O scale, especially with the height added by their bases.

All this to say, if you want to put your miniatures in the layout, O is the answer for you, the only question is whether you want to go with a the compressed, classic O-27 or the more scale accurate and more expensive O.

Thanks for the info. I think i will go with O just not sure if it will be O-27 or O. Do either of these come in 2 rail? I am fairly flexible in the scale not matching exactly but the whole 3 rail thing that O has kind of bothers me but not a deal breaker.

My understanding is the Marvel Crisis Protocol is straight up 1:48 scale. I plan on going to a train store to compare a mini and train but anything remotely close to me that carries O scale is closed right now due to covid.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
O comes in 2 rail, more expensive.

·
Registered
816 Posts
They're some older 2 rail O that isn't as expensive but yeah generally it's more expensive to go 2 rail.

There are 3 rail tracks that have the middle rail blackened to make it look a bit less obvious.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Realism in O is costly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts