Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Finding so many toys around here on the weekends since I retired. So got on here to learn more about the hobby. Hope to learn a lot from the members here.

C

·
0 Posts
Welcome aboard Vinnie. There are a few Floridians here. I'm in Vero Beach.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CJ!

Over here in Lake County, in the "county" too, I guess i have a drive to get close to any real train stores. Lots of flea markets, thrift and antique stores around though. Got to settle down and decided on a scale, but they all look good! :)

C

·
0 Posts
There are some train stores in the Orlando area. I don't know how good they are but are probably worth a look if they are not too far from you. It's a two hour plus drive for me so I haven't checked them out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup,

I checked and looks like one in Orlando and one in Sanford. Both an hour plus drive for me to run over there.

Got to figure out a scale, I have a lot of 25mm lead figures from past wargaming, thought about "O" scale but that might be a bit big for them.

Thinking about the late 1800's too, for a start on trains and cars.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Hello!

Finding so many toys around here on the weekends since I retired. So got on here to learn more about the hobby. Hope to learn a lot from the members here.

Vinnie;

Welcome to the forum! If the toys you're finding are trains, you have come to the right place! We are a large, international group of model train enthusiasts. We welcome new people like yourself, and do all we can to help them with any questions they have. I wrote the files below for that purpose, to help new modelers get started on their first (or 2nd, or ?) layout. Read through them, if you wish. They may help get you started and answer some of your questions. You may also benefit from this book. "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson. You can order a copy from https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books Since you are one of many who don't have a trainstore nearby, here is a good online dealer. www.modeltrainstuff.com I have used them and they are quite good.

Again welcome;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment WHERE DO I START 3.pdf

View attachment Choosing a Scale.pdf

View attachment 1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment All AboutTurnouts revised.pdf

View attachment MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

View attachment Model Railroad Terminology 2.2.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice references!

We had a layout of Dad's growing up, but with us moving quite a bit in the 60's, the layout gradually disappeared. Lack of space I think, especially in the last house. But have been around trains for a long while, our last town had a good sized rail hub. We had to figure out the best way to get from the north side to the south side of town, only four ways to go (under/overpass) if a train was coming through! And those freight trains were quite long!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts