Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gal....I've been bitten by this HO train bug for some reason. Had them when I was little, but nothing since. I really want to get into this and build my own train garden.

My question is where in the world to start? Get a platform, then do I build the scenes/neighborhoods around the train, or the train around them?

Also, I'd really like to be detailed...meaning a lot of lights in houses, street lamps, LED's in cars and on emergency vehicles (I have no idea on how to do this though:confused: ). I bought a Walthers 2008 reference book the other day, and plans are endless it seems.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Sounds like a good start. If you are interested to doing incredibly detailed scenes, you might want to start with a 'mini-layout' to test the waters and your skill level, then move on to the bigger stuff.

This site is an endless resource and looks like alot of fun:

http://carendt.us/

'Small Layout Scrapbook'

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tworail said:
Sounds like a good start. If you are interested to doing incredibly detailed scenes, you might want to start with a 'mini-layout' to test the waters and your skill level, then move on to the bigger stuff.

This site is an endless resource and looks like alot of fun:

http://carendt.us/

'Small Layout Scrapbook'
wow!! great site...thanks. I'm sure I'll be back for some more questions. :)

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome to the madness...er...hobby. There's plenty enough sites to look at, my blog has a short list of really good ones I've found over the years. Go thru those to get the feel for where you'd like to go in the hobby. It's easy to spend a lot of money and still find you've gotten nowhere so be careful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
New

table first, layout 2nd, stay a while before scenery. I think I left a layout procedure in this forum on a step by step layout to avoid wasting time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts