Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a new L-shaped layout, after about a 25 year absence.
The new layout will be made up by combining a 5' X 10' leg with a 5' X 8' leg.
I want to have an older style toy-train layout, with most of the older Lionel accessories.
Does anybody have any ideas, or layouts I can look at to get ideas?
Thanks,
Norm

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. And as you noted, I am new to the list.
Any ideas where to start looking?? :)
Norm

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Norm, welcome to the forum. I think Tankist was pointing out that the site is full of pics of layouts, and inviting you to browse back through earlier O gauge posts to look at them. Another site you might consider is this one: http://www.thortrains.net/marx/funlayo1.html

It won't have L shaped layouts, but it should give you ideas you can incorporate into your own. I'd strongly suggest acquiring some layout software; there's some very good stuff available that is reasonably-priced and reduces the track nightmare to a manageable task. My personal preference is Anyrail (http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html). You can download a 50-section demo for free and use it endlessly; I liked it enough that I thought buying the program to be well worth the investment.

The best suggestion I can offer, though, is this: take your time. Look at it, think about it, and think it through thoroughly before buying stuff. Spend some time here, get to know people and talk about what you might want to do: brainstorming with friends can save you a lot of wasted time. Along that line, you might want to visit the new members thread (if you haven't, by now) and introduce yourself.

Finally, give some thought to what era and what geography you want to model. While you are the only true arbitrator of what is right for your layout, impulsively buying a really sharp diesel and then realizing you really want to model the steam era can lead to chagrin, if nothing else. Decide the "when", and decide the "where". Do you want mountains and forests, or a city? With O gauge, it's hard to have both without a very, very large layout. Take your time, pull up a chair and talk to people here on the site.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fellows, thanks for comments.
I have looked through the pics, but nothing is even close to what I am thinking of, and I don't really want, nor need to but anything but (maybe) some track and switches.
I already have most of the Lionel operating accessories (and enough rolling stock), and only want some toy-train style operating layout ideas.
What I really need is some track layouts for the "L"-shaped platform I am building.
I expect I probably am in the wrong group and asking more than you guys are doing.
But, thanks for replies. Trains are fun. My equipment dates back to the late 40's, 50's & 60's when I previously had layouts, and I want to get it setup again, utilizing as many operating accessories as possible.
Norm

·
16,666 Posts
Have you looked in old ('40's, '50's) Lionel catalogs and/or an old Greenberg's manual for examples of old track layouts? I don't have my Greenbergs or old catalogs in front of me, but I seem to recall they both offered sample layout ideas. Not sure if any were "L", though.

TJ

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks TJ. I don't have too many Greenberg stuff, but I do have the reasonably comprehensive MDK 1984 publication that has quite a few layouts, but nothing L-shaped I can use.

My plan is to incorporate as many of the operating accessories I have into something that can display them nicely.

Unfortunately, there are few L-shaped plans around. For some reason almost everything is rectangular. Going to an L-shaped layout will give me more outside edge (perimeter) for the kids to walk along and be able to operate the accessories.

Reckers advise about taking my time and looking around is exactly what I have to do.

Thanks,
Norm

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
I am starting a new L-shaped layout, after about a 25 year absence.
The new layout will be made up by combining a 5' X 10' leg with a 5' X 8' leg.
I want to have an older style toy-train layout, with most of the older Lionel accessories.
Does anybody have any ideas, or layouts I can look at to get ideas?
Thanks,
Norm

Hey Norm, fellow New Jersey'ian. Welcome to the site.

Why don't you make up your own plan?:confused:
What kind of accessory's do you have to add on the layout?

Stick around and show us what you got.

Here are some L shape from Thor's site. Just add your size as they are a different size.
http://www.thortrains.net/marx/l482a1.html

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Big Ed, you're the man! :)

The link is VERY HELPFUL and exactly what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

While I'm certainly going to have to design my own layout, I just can't get started and am looking for some ideas to save time.

My last layout was a Christmas layout, (2) 4' X 8' platforms plugged together under the tree in the early 70's.

As far as the accessories I want to use, some of them are the Coal Elevator; 397 Coal Loader; 3' Coal Ramp, another Coal Accessory that doesn't have a number, but the car dumps into a bin which lifts up into a hopper at the top..... when it dumps down.

I haven't used that accessory before, as the same for the 164 Lumber Shed.

I Also have the 464 Lumber Mill, the 313 Bascule Bridge, Culvert Loader & Unloader; The Icing Station; Milk Platform, Cattle & Horse Corrals; Newstand; 362 Barrel Loader; Magnetic Crane; Rocket Launcher; Burro Crane; Fork Truck Platform; and numerous operating cars as best I can tell that I have already unpacked..... and can others I remember.

They take up a lot of real estate, but are fun to watch.

Anyway, I'm finally started and that's the most important part.

BTW, where in Jersey are you??

Norm

·
16,666 Posts
Ohh nooo ... Here we go again ... More "Jersey" talk ... :eek:

:rolleyes::laugh::rolleyes:

(Norm, glad to see you got some good tips here. Keep us posted on your progress, and ping the gang back with any questions. Uhh ... Except the "What Exit?!?" one!)

Cheers,

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
Hey Big Ed, you're the man! :)

The link is VERY HELPFUL and exactly what I was looking for. :thumbsup:

While I'm certainly going to have to design my own layout, I just can't get started and am looking for some ideas to save time.

My last layout was a Christmas layout, (2) 4' X 8' platforms plugged together under the tree in the early 70's.

As far as the accessories I want to use, some of them are the Coal Elevator; 397 Coal Loader; 3' Coal Ramp, another Coal Accessory that doesn't have a number, but the car dumps into a bin which lifts up into a hopper at the top..... when it dumps down.

I haven't used that accessory before, as the same for the 164 Lumber Shed.

I Also have the 464 Lumber Mill, the 313 Bascule Bridge, Culvert Loader & Unloader; The Icing Station; Milk Platform, Cattle & Horse Corrals; Newstand; 362 Barrel Loader; Magnetic Crane; Rocket Launcher; Burro Crane; Fork Truck Platform; and numerous operating cars as best I can tell that I have already unpacked..... and can others I remember.

They take up a lot of real estate, but are fun to watch.

Anyway, I'm finally started and that's the most important part.

BTW, where in Jersey are you??

Norm

Exit 10 Norm, Edison area.:laugh: (bug TJ)
Where you at, down in Atlantic Highlands?

Actually Reckers gave you the link first if you looked through it, the L plans were there.
By the looks of your list of add on's to the layout, your going to need a bigger layout then 2 4x8's.:D
Stick around, give us progress reports. (With pictures of course.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed, I'm actually in the HIGHlands ("high" area) of Jersey. Elev here is about 950' ASL. I am midway between Hackettstown (Warren Cty.), Clinton (Town, Hunterdon Cty) and Washington Boro, (Warren Cty).

Much of the water used further South come from up here, and the many farm owners are complaining about the value of their farms dropping drastically because of the moratorium of new construction, in order to protect the water supply. Of course, some think the "protection" lines were drawn to help some..... and not others. :confused:

And, yes Reckers did give me the link, but I didn't spend enough time to properly check it out. Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

Also, the legs of the new layout are actually 5' X 8' and 5' X 10'.
But, I do have room to add another 4' or 5' X 10' leg to end up with a "U", in the future. If I didn't start with the "L"-shaped arrangement, I'd never get started. :eek:hwell:

And, not to really bug TJ, :laugh: but a few years ago while visiting RI, we were looking for a place in Providence to stay for the night. There was one or two signs for a Welcome Center, but we were not able to find where it was "hidden". We ended up spending the night in Mass. :eek:

I'll send pics as I get going.

BTW, is anybody making the 0-31 (or 0-42) tubular track?? I'm looking to buy some new stuff, but it is hard to find.

All the best,

Norm

·
16,666 Posts
Norm,

Got a chuckle out of your RI story. I don't dispute it at all! I still find it crazy that for me to drive from Newport to Providence (both in RI), I have to head out Rt 24 and Rt 195 into MA for over half of the trip. RI is so small, there's not enough room to drive from A to B without leaving the state! And ...

You likely saved some cash in your pocket ... sales tax / hotel tax is cheaper in MA than in RI.

Re: track ... Lionel offers O-31 and O-42 tubular ...

http://www.lionel.com/Products/Finder/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductNumber=6-65501&expandBranch=0&Keywords=&CategoryID=529&RailLineID=&CatalogId=

http://www.lionel.com/Products/Finder/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductNumber=6-12925&expandBranch=0&Keywords=&CategoryID=529&RailLineID=&CatalogId=

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey TJ, glad you got a kick out of my Providence story.

And thanks for track link. I was beginning to think Lionel didn't make it any more.

I'm on a very slow BroadBand connection and it's tough surfing to find good stuff. There's a lot of chaff out there and that's what I usually get. It takes forever to find anything out there.

Thanks,

Norm

·
16,666 Posts
Hey Norm,

What the L ?!?!? Hee hee ... I just had to say that ... like the way it sounds!

Nice use of space in the basement, with good clearance all around, if that's where she'll live when done. Good joist spacing. Plenty of legs. One suggestion, though ...

I'm thinking you might want to add some diagonal braces to the upper section of each leg ... two on each leg, facing 90-degrees apart. These could either be triangular plywood gussets say 10" x 10" or so, or 2"x3" bracing installed on a 45-deg angle. Either way, I think you'll find that some reinforcements on the top of the legs will go a long way to prevent the eventual bottom corner-kick and buckling/failure of the top joint into the main frame. Your call, of course, but take a look at how sturdy (or risky) those top joints are as it stands.

Just a suggestion ...

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks TJ, the table actually is very solid as it, but you're right (of course) about the leg bracing. :)

The table is where it will be. I don't know if you can see it in the pic, probably the pic just before the sheathing was installed, but I did "tie" the tables to (both) Lolly columns with 1" steel banding. between the straps and the weight, the tables (screwed together, don't move at all.

The legs do move when "kicked", however as you suggested. They are attached with 1/4 bolts, with the heads recessed to prevent injury to little hands. I plan to add a (deck) screw near the top of the leg to see if that will hold them in "place" for now.

I had planned to add diagonal bracing, but I was thinking to do that after the thing is wired as Murphy's Laws dictates the bracing will interfere with me getting under the table when installing the wires.

I am planning to lay out the track to see how it will work BEFORE I place the Homosote which I hope will deaden the sound somewhat. The Homosote will be full coverage on top.

BTW, do you have any idea of a good sized AWG wire to run to operate the accessories, and if there is any place where I can buy it as cheap as possible?

I was going to buy some 12 or 14 AWG bare wire for a ground "buss", but Home Depot didn't appear to have any in stock. I expect I can strip the insulation from some wire I have on hand, but I have better things to do with my time.

Norm

·
16,666 Posts
Norm,

Do a search here on the forum for "wire size" and similar hits. I know that several veteran guys have talked about that. 12 or 14 sounds large to me, based upon what others have said. I think 18 rings a bell, but you should poke into related threads.

I believe some guys have had good success with buying their wire at Radio Shack.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
I use 14 gauge just for power to the track.

If you find some old telephone wire and strip the wire out of the casing there's a ton in side that are good for lights and accessories. Though with some accessories you might want something heavier.

They say if you can't sit on your table without worrying if it will hold you then it's not strong enough.

That's what they say.......for O gauge.:rolleyes:

Me? At around 270lbs, I never tested mine!:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts