Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to the forum. I’ve been working on this layout for about 4 years now. It’s 7x4. There’s some things I wish I’d done different but at the time I was having fun just laying down track in the space I had. Well now I pretty much have unlimited space, after we moved. I’m thinking a u shaped layout. 11’ wide, 2 feet deep in center with maybe 4x3 or 4x2 ends for big loops. I’m trying to get away from the tight turns and be more open. Long main and I like the idea of running 2 trains at once and still being able to play in yard and sidings.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
In the Layout Design forum, under the Model Train Workshop area, you will find a pair of sticky threads showing both members layouts and various layout design ideas. These may be helpful.

Reactions: BigGRacing

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
This is the space it will be going in. Cabinet will move.

nsmustang55ol;

Nice to have more space! 😊 You might consider running your layout along some, or all of the walls of your new space, and leaving the middle of the room empty. This will make it easy to "get away from the tight turns" since the corners will automatically provide room enough for wider turns. If you can't use all four walls, then you're right, you will need wider sections at the ends to house return loops. My own N-scale layout is basically this shape. It is made up of 4' long sections (highly recommended!) There is a diagram of my layout in the "Layout Design" section of this forum. Its at the end of the tread "Here are the Layouts of some forum members." The files below outline the basic choices every model railroader encounters, and offers suggestions for your consideration.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea we’re wanting to keep it along that back wall. We use the other space for working out and motorcycle storage. I’m coming up with the table plans now and plan to start tear down when I’m off next week.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello all. New to the forum. I’ve been working on this layout for about 4 years now. It’s 7x4. There’s some things I wish I’d done different but at the time I was having fun just laying down track in the space I had. Well now I pretty much have unlimited space, after we moved. I’m thinking a u shaped layout. 11’ wide, 2 feet deep in center with maybe 4x3 or 4x2 ends for big loops. I’m trying to get away from the tight turns and be more open. Long main and I like the idea of running 2 trains at once and still being able to play in yard and sidings.
Current layout, looking pretty darned good. (y)

New Layout Advice:
Curves: Build with the absolute largest radii you can make fit and work. Trains look REAL good going around large radius curves. Anybody that's ever seen N-scale trains running on almost 40" radius curves on N-Trak layouts will know what I'm talking about. You won't regret it.
Turnouts: Use the absolute largest turnouts you can fit in the space. Yards or mainline doesn't matter, the bigger the better. Trains look REAL good on large turnouts, and operate EVEN BETTER YET. You won't regret it.

That's my "new layout" advice and I'm sticking to it. ;):p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heck yea. Here’s where I’m at now. Pretty sure the main will be something like this. Not sure on the sidings just yet. I usually just make the main on the table and go from there. The highlighted track is elevated to crossover the track at grade. I really prefer sidings to be outside of the mains, to me it’s easier to get roads too. The double crossover will allow two trains to run on seperate loops or if it’s straight one long double look basically. But meh. don’t beat me up too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Heck yea. Here’s where I’m at now. Pretty sure the main will be something like this. Not sure on the sidings just yet. I usually just make the main on the table and go from there. The highlighted track is elevated to crossover the track at grade. I really prefer sidings to be outside of the mains, to me it’s easier to get roads too. The double crossover will allow two trains to run on seperate loops or if it’s straight one long double look basically. But meh. don’t beat me up too much.
Hmmm, looks pretty good to me. (y) I don't think I can beat you up at all on this.

Bummer. I'll have to go look for some other prey to beat up. :p :p :p

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,785 Posts
Welcome to the site.
I give a (y)'s up to your current layout too.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
New layout looks interesting...I would try to fit in a passing
siding more convenient to the switching area with all
of the spurs. You'll need to push cars in as well as
back them.

Don

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea. The Spurs are kind of up in the air right now. the track looks crammed but I have to keep reminding myself of the size and the spacing isn’t scale in the drawing. It will prolblsbly not be crammed as it looks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stayed up late last night. Kiddos helped me for a few hours before they went to bed. Then I kept going. foam should be going on tomorrow. Ended up with a 5x3 right side and a 42”x2.5’ left side. 2’ deep in middle. Over all width is 11’4”. Built it in 3 sections JUST INCASE. It ever has to move. Shout out to Lowe’s. They provided the leg material for free!!! From their scrap pile.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Nice work. If it turns out anything like your last layout it will be phenomenal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got some 3/8” ply for the top and 2” foam to go on top. When kids get home we will get after it. Goal this evening have foam glued and weighted down. Problably till Friday. And also the old layout tear down starts tomorrow

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Got some 3/8” ply for the top and 2” foam to go on top. When kids get home we will get after it. Goal this evening have foam glued and weighted down. Problably till Friday. And also the old layout tear down starts tomorrow
nsmustang55ol;

Your benchwork looks good, though way overbuilt. That won't hurt anything though. I have one suggestion for your Masonite backdrop panels. Curve the corners. Masonite warps and if submerged in hot water can be bent to a curved shape pretty easily. If you have access to a hot tub, that's ideal. Failing that, a bathtub full of hot water will work. Only the ends of the sheets, that now form 90 degree corners, need to be soaked, and warped. Its pretty hard to disguise that 90 degree corner in the sky. A curve improves the appearance 100%. I have used this warping idea not only on some backdrops, like the "forested" one to the left of the mansion in the first photo, but also on the fascia boards of my own layout. (see photos) Its made of 1/8" Luan plywood, rather than Masonite, but the principal is the same.

Traction Fan :)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agh yes I thought to curve the corners but the plan is to have mountains that go up to the corners. but I may still curve them. Do you think I need the plywood? Or just use the 2” foam?

OVERBUILT!?!!! I was worried it wasnt built enough lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
LOL! You could climb on top of what you have built!!! It's done very nicely!! I tend to overbuild my stuff too, especially work benches. I like to use solid core doors with 2x6 framework. That'll hold up to just about anything I can try to do on my workbench ;)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts