Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too like being able to watch trains go round and round at times, I just don't like watching them repeat the same short predictable pattern over and over, the "here it comes again" train around the xmas tree syndrome. That is the beauty of a track plan designed for DCC, I can have more than 1 train traveling over alternative routes in the same layout. A train traveling at scale speed over the longest route of my mainline may not repeat for 1/2 hr or more and may disappear for a while while transversing one or both helixes and through the staging yard to "surprise" the observer by reappearing at an unexpected location.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I too like being able to watch trains go round and round at times, I just don't like watching them repeat the same short predictable pattern over and over, the "here it comes again" train around the xmas tree syndrome. That is the beauty of a track plan designed for DCC, I can have more than 1 train traveling over alternative routes in the same layout. A train traveling at scale speed over the longest route of my mainline may not repeat for 1/2 hr or more and may disappear for a while while transversing one or both helixes and through the staging yard to "surprise" the observer by reappearing at an unexpected location.
Do you have your track plan? I’m curious.

·
Registered
125 Posts
direct critique: Putting that double crossover at the back does not provide any advantage or need. Tracing your plan route the train gets "stuck" following the same pattern after the first circuit. I might place the double crossover on the double tracks crossing the front left triangle shaped benchwork.
I thought I posted my track plan earlier in this discussion? Yes I did, lower level and helixes post #37, upper level stripped to just the track post #40.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I like watching them go round and round. Mind you I have an 8 and 10 year old. the stub outs on bottom right will eventually lead to a yard/ reverse loop. this isn’t the definitive plan, just screwing around.

This is the add on that will eventually go on to give me a reverse loop and a yard where the kids cans build trains and send them off. We’ll be adding industries and sidings as we go along. Have an idea in my head. Not good at putting it on paper. The perspective is off.
OK. It's your railroad, so if you have what you enjoy, that's all that matters. Have Fun with it.

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Here is upper level with scenery and structures included (pink are structures) drawn in xtrackcad: View attachment 566674
Your right you did. I apologize.
Yes. I noticed that. I play around relocating it. Also came up with something like this. A double deck in left side to provide a longer main. Also where are you saying to relocate crossover?

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
ok, you changed the plan quite a bit so now, first the double track along the front I would not make slavishly parallel to the board edge, but what is now a straight make a flowing "S" curve from the bridge to around the turn. put the crossover into that section. Your previous versions of the yard inside the reverse loop was a far better use of that space. Siding inside the loop would be too short for use, and you don't want more than 1 train in the loop at a time. My printer is off line at the moment, I'll see if I can get it back up tomorrow then I can draw some alternate ideas rather than trying to describe them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
ok, you changed the plan quite a bit so now, first the double track along the front I would not make slavishly parallel to the board edge, but what is now a straight make a flowing "S" curve from the bridge to around the turn. put the crossover into that section. Your previous versions of the yard inside the reverse loop was a far better use of that space. Siding inside the loop would be too short for use, and you don't want more than 1 train in the loop at a time. My printer is off line at the moment, I'll see if I can get it back up tomorrow then I can draw some alternate ideas rather than trying to describe them.
I made some copies of the bench work. I can scan and email if anyone feels like coming up with something? For fun

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The double crossover?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Oh yea the yard in the reverse loop is still happening, I just don’t draw it sometimes becasue I’m not sure what I’m goin g to do just yet as far as a yard.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
If those grades are on a curve be sure you figure the effective grade or you may get an unpleasant surprise during your first operating run.

·
Registered
322 Posts
So, obviously, an incline creates "drag" as the locomotive pulls up hill. You also get some drag by going through a curve, even on a level grade. So when your train has to navigate a curve while also pulling up hill, the resulting drag is more than just the incline.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
So, obviously, an incline creates "drag" as the locomotive pulls up hill. You also get some drag by going through a curve, even on a level grade. So when your train has to navigate a curve while also pulling up hill, the resulting drag is more than just the incline.
Oic. So by the time it gets to the turn on upper level I plan on having it flat already. The ONLY bends on the incline will be slight. The drawing isn’t really to scale. It’s close but what I’m realizing is in real life there’s so much more room. What looks like a sharp curve or short spur on paper is way bigger on the table.
UPDATE:

moved weights over to make room for extension.

played with the road bed a little bit. Making curves is fun with it. I may free hand a lot of it and use my giant compass to make sure I’m not going to sharp. I’ll have to shim the flex track up about poster board thickness to match the KATO turnout height. No problem, cheap enough. Enjoy!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
The whole train will be on level track before the curve?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Because your locomotive reaches level track before the curve doesn't mean the effective grade goes away if you still have rolling stock being pulled up the grade.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts