Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife told me to get a hobby so this is it! It's an HO layout 12 feet long and up to 4 1/2 feet wide. As you will see I am taking it very slowly. But it has been a lot of fun. This is the first layout I've built since I was in high school and that was an 027 system.
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

image006.jpg

image010.jpg

image014.jpg

image021.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does adding another layer of resin effect the looks of the lake?? It looks great.
In this case the raft was to high off the water. So I added more resin to make it look closer. It also gave the shore line a more rounded look.
Thanks for the comments! This is a great site!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Well it sure looks great. When I was a kid we had a swimming hole very similar to what you depict, raft and all, good times. Thanks for bring that memory back.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Great job on your layout. Very impressive !!! You have a talent. Your lake water
looks as good as I have seen. The changing depth of the lake really shows. When
you say resin, are you talking resin that goes over fiberglass cloth?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great job on your layout. Very impressive !!! You have a talent. Your lake water
looks as good as I have seen. The changing depth of the lake really shows. When
you say resin, are you talking resin that goes over fiberglass cloth?
Its an epoxy resin called Glaze Coat. You can get it at hobby stores or at Home Depot or Lowes in bigger sizes I think there are different varieties and the stuff I got was called "Crystal Clear." It takes some time to mix, but it comes out really nicely. There are some sites and maybe this forum where you can find out how to do ripples and waves, but I was too lazy to do that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts