Model Train Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am very impressed. The lake might be the best I've ever seen. You really did a good job of laying out the roads and structures.

:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here's couple more. I was looking for an old timey train as a "special" novelty, but the grandkids really liked Thomas. I've seen a lot of real Thomas's around so I thought I'd add it. IMGP9372.JPG
And one more

IMGP9371.JPG

·
Registered
648 Posts
Fantastic work. The lake is just what I am looking for, thanks for the tips. Will stop buy Home Depot tomorrow as I have a large lake that I made from styrofoam. Went a little crazy on depth and size. Want to one with merky dirty wate as it is a saw mill. Have a beautiful small late at the top of one of my mountains that I want the clear deep look, that you have captured so fantastically. May have to bug you about it down the road.

Again great work!!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I really like the lake and how the mountains comes together. Where did you pick up your foam board from if you don’t mind me asking?

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow, amazing work. The lake is a center piece, and that
Amtrak makes me want to shrink to 1/87 and climb into
it. Also, I noted that you kept the essential design
fairly simple, which is a good thing. So often new modelers,
like myself decades later, try to fit in too much and end
up with a lot of reliability issues. Good foresight on your part,
if I may say. Look forward to more pics. Any chance you
could shoot some up close video?

I can't quite tell from the distance, but it looks like some of
your rolling stock is Old School (which I love, BTW). What
are you running on there?

Your great looking, clean, professional control panel seems to
be using an older Model Power transformer. Is that right?

Keep it coming. Great stuff on many different levels!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Its been a while since I posted anything, but I have finally added some lights to the layout and thought you might like to see the result. For the inside of the buildings I used plain old LED Christmas lights. Hid them in the ceilings of the buildings. Then I added 6 incandescent light poles I got on sale at Entertrainment Junction off I 75 in Southern Ohio. I ordered off ebay 20 LED street lights and a set of 10 LED strips with 3 LEDS per strip. I connected two sets of 6 light poles each in series to get the necessary 18 volts. I connected them and the strips to the DC side of an old transformer so I can keep the brightness at a level I like. Here are a few shots of the layout as it now exists.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
PS. That is a Thomas the Train loco there. I've seen several of them in real life and since I have grand kids I use it as a "holiday special" railroad. Also some late answers to some questions. Yes I am using older equipment and power packs. Finances being the main reason. The foam board I got at Lowes. They have it in 4X8 and 4X4 sheets at various thicknesses. I glued them together with Glidden Gripper white primer. I got that idea from another member of this forum, I believe, but I don't remember her name. Also for the lighting I had to do a lot of black painting on the inside walls of the buildings to keep the light from leaking out the sides of the buildings!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts