Model Train Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That's what I was thinking... It looks like legacy is on some kind of close out path. I guess I'm feeling a little negative. I have a legacy system and a bunch of LCS stuff, and I'm feeling like maybe I should just get rid of it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Gonna pass on this catalog also.....nothing is a must have.

-Pete

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
With MTH leaving the business next year there will not be any competitor to force Lionel to keep their prices somewhat in line. The Lionel bean counters are probably laughing all the way to the bank thinking we got those suckers right where we want em.

Bill

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I didn’t see much in the Volume 2 that interested me. But I also looked again at the Big Book. I usually don’t give that more than a quick glance, but with MTH going away, I am thinking LC+2 if I want a new toy for my DCS layout. Saw a few things in the Big Book that I might be interested in.

The 0-6-0T steamer caught my eye either in Beth Steel (2032030) or PRR (2032050). At $250, that has to be the unicorn of Lionel bargains. Anyone have one of these tank engines? Is it nicely detailed or am I asking too much? Is it scale?

I also thought the PP&L hopper 6 pack (1928140) looked interesting at $150. Wonder if they are made from an updated 6456 die.

·
Admin
43,819 Posts
Bob, nobody has the LC+ 2.0 0-6-0T as they're coming in October. However, I'm getting both of the ones you mentioned, for the price I'll pay at the shop, it's an impossible steal! I'm also very curious what the quality will be for an item that they're making for way less than $100 manufacturing cost! It could be a real bargain, or a piece of junk, no way of knowing until they hit the dock.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
With MTH going the way of the dodo, it seems like there's some chance the work by Mark Diveccio will become more important, and maybe expanded. RTC - Remote Train Control - Mark DiVecchio

I know there's been some past interest in cracking the DCS track side signals and so on. I know there's been some folks that have claimed to have done it etc... but nothing in the public domain.

maybe someone will put it out there in the near future.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
With MTH going the way of the dodo, it seems like there's some chance the work by Mark Diveccio will become more important, and maybe expanded. RTC - Remote Train Control - Mark DiVecchio

I know there's been some past interest in cracking the DCS track side signals and so on. I know there's been some folks that have claimed to have done it etc... but nothing in the public domain.

maybe someone will put it out there in the near future.
I'm hoping once Mike is out of the picture, who ever is in control of the DCS system will decide to make it a open system. That's the one thing lacking with DCS is the lack of third party vendors coming up with add ones to enhance what DCS can do. TMCC had lots of third parties over the years. Train, America Studios, Digital Dynamics, IC controls, even Zstuff with there DZ-2500 switch machines with the data driver.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It would seem to be the right course of action overall -- I agree. Firstly I can say that I signed some kind of NDA for being a so called "LCS developer" and so the TMCC stuff is not really open open -- get it on github -- but it is open quite a bit more, totally right. It should be though. I didn't quite see the point of their reticence. So then I think there's maybe a paywall for legacy -- but if they opened up the lionchief items -- which probably to me use similar commands to legacy (just packaged differently) -- they may well get a jump in the high school and college kids interest levels. Look at lego for example. Generating interest seems important and not just glitzy catalogs and super hero branding are gonna do it.

MTH I agree is even worse there ...

I hope that makes any sense, i re-wrote it twice and my coffee is empty.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Even though there were a few TMCC developers they still had to use Lionel Radio and Railsounds boards. They were limited to modifying motor drivers so other than Cruise control or making boards so you could run Proto1 engines with TMCC they could not add new features like whistle smoke, swinging bells, etc. Thats still the case for outside developers and will be until the user can easily add their own features like you can with DCC.

Pete

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yuck, once again, no high end Strasburg locomotive from Lionel. While Mike Wolf has produced a few Premier Strasburg engines over the years, the only Strasburg locomotive close to high end Lionel has produced is the conventional Strasburg mogul. While if's never been released with tmcc as were moguls for other railroads and since tooling for it already exists why won't Lionel at least reissue a command control version of it? While the sounds on the recently released Lionchief Strasburg set are fun to hear, that incorrect 0-8-0 engine is an insult to hard core Strasburg collectors and for those of us who are also "runners" as well as collectors, that puny under-powered motor in that 0-8-0 engine is an atrocity!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
I like it, particularly that all Legacy locos now run with the Universal remote. Might replace a few existing locos with new, just for that feature. Thinking about it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Rock Island E7 set and that will do it. I have an older Lionel E6 set, and may purchase another E6 set off ebay. But I dare say the new one is impressive and cost be damned as I will not have another shot at an E7 in Rock Island in that 2nd iteration Maroon and Silver - maybe ever. The only question is am I happy with the A-A set for $1000 (less 10% pre order) or do I grab the silver B Unit with "bass" sounds?

As I've been spending a crazy amount on MTH and 2nd hand, I believe I will be happy with the A-A. If my math is right, that would be 4000 hp. I have 5 "silver" Rock Island passenger cars - the infamous last Lionel 21" ers and I have at least 5-6 "Golden State" cars I can run behind that.

Which brings me to the only rub here and that the "Station Sounds" Golden Harvest Golden State passenger car on page 33 for $360! Ouch. If Lionel makes a run of these, they might end up on ebay in 3 years at a bit less - that is where I got my Silver Rock Island Station Sounds for I think $175. I've never run the Station Sounds Diner. Are these a good edition to a layout and a passenger consist?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Check prices at Nassau Hobby. If you don't live in NY they are the lowest I have seen. I am in for an E7 but the passenger car prices are way out of whack. Nearly 200 bucks for what is essentially a plastic box. If they had finished interiors like their 18" aluminum predecessors then maybe.
Pete

·
Registered
525 Posts
I know Pete, I agree. That R.I. E7 purchase is because I can not get it anywhere else and based on my experience this will be my only shot in the next 20 + years. But passenger cars? I can get R.I. Golden State cars from older K-Line and MTH. And I run conventional.

So if anybody has "Station Sounds" experience and you think it's worth it, then let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
The UP E7 set and the UP Gensets (once corrected) are what speaks to me so far. Was hoping for more UP 21 cars in the catalog. Would like one day to have the entire heritage fleet.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have 20 Lionel UP cars and expecting one more, the new baggage car, then thats it. I have closed the gaps and replaced the diaphrams but still have to do the interiors. A task I am not looking forward to. If you are getting the funeral train I would be curious to see how they they did the interiors. It was touted as having figures and maybe painted.
Pete

21 - 39 of 39 Posts