Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members. We have a few listings on our site now. We're happy to list your items FREE and assist with editing ads and pictures at no charge. Give us a try and please provide useful feedback. It's much appreciated!

Thank you,

Tom

www.modeltrainstrader.com

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW!!!! Is that stuff made out of platinum?

Bob
Hi Bob,

I have no idea, we just list the items to sell, we don't set the asking price. There's an option to reach out to the seller and ask though... This guy is making a ton of money buying and selling trains. He is taking advantage of our free service and we appreciate his support.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
C'mon, Bob...the guy is making a ton of money---it says so, right there...*points*.

Hurry up and bid or you'll miss out. After all, if he's making a ton of money, he must be pricing it far more than what it's worth and...well, it has to be a bargain for the buyer to bid on if it's overpriced, and......oh.

Never mind.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C'mon, Bob...the guy is making a ton of money---it says so, right there...*points*.

Hurry up and bid or you'll miss out. After all, if he's making a ton of money, he must be pricing it far more than what it's worth and...well, it has to be a bargain for the buyer to bid on if it's overpriced, and......oh.

Never mind.
I see the wise guys have had at least one cup of mud today... No bids. It's a classified ad... What do you have to sell?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Tom,

I'm not trying to be unkind to you, but I believe you are missing two basic points.

Point #1: This site is populated by people who like trains: having trains, running trains, even pointing out the car window about trains and making "Whooo, Whooo" noises. Selling is something we tend to do rarely; we are more interested in acquiring the next shiny bauble that becomes available. Stopping by to suggest we sell off our collections for the betterment of your business venture is likely to get a lukewarm reception. I don't mean to be rude to you, just honest.

Point #2: Know your audience. As I mentioned, we tend to be buyers rather than sellers. To tell us that sellers on your site are making "tons of money" is a stategy that bears rethinking. It suggests to me that I should avoid your site like the plague: if sellers are making tons of money, it's at some buyer's expense.

I honestly do wish you well with your endeavor, Tom. I'm just trying to explain to you my reaction to the messages you're posting.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom,

I'm not trying to be unkind to you, but I believe you are missing two basic points.

Point #1: This site is populated by people who like trains: having trains, running trains, even pointing out the car window about trains and making "Whooo, Whooo" noises. Selling is something we tend to do rarely; we are more interested in acquiring the next shiny bauble that becomes available. Stopping by to suggest we sell off our collections for the betterment of your business venture is likely to get a lukewarm reception. I don't mean to be rude to you, just honest.

Point #2: Know your audience. As I mentioned, we tend to be buyers rather than sellers. To tell us that sellers on your site are making "tons of money" is a stategy that bears rethinking. It suggests to me that I should avoid your site like the plague: if sellers are making tons of money, it's at some buyer's expense.

I honestly do wish you well with your endeavor, Tom. I'm just trying to explain to you my reaction to the messages you're posting.
I accept this and appreciate the explanation becuase frankly the first pass came off as sarcastic. I did not join this forum to engage in that manner of exchange but rather promote a free service to the community. I post an exclusive link to this forum to attract more like minded members. The comment I made about the fellow making a ton of money is what he does. He travels around the country searching for model trains at all types of venues. He buys low and sells high, isn't that what capitalism is all about? I have no control nor do I care to police asking price of any item on the site, it's not my business. If that offends members here then I'm lost for words.

Thank you,

Tom

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It's all good and well that the guy "is making a ton of money". I'm not destitute by any stretch of the imagination. But, the prices floored me. I'm just glad the guy doesn't have to feed those items. He maybe keeping them for a while. I just received a near mint pre-war Lionel set yesterday, that I paid $75 to get. A steal, yes, but that's what I look for....good deals. Got lucky on this one. Maybe not so lucky next time. No, it's not my scale, but is a nice addition to my collection, which seems to becoming a trend with me lately....collecting.(I'll get some pics Reckers. It's unbelievable, the condition. Looks new!!!!)

Reckers said it best when he stated that most of us here wish to acquire, be it more stock, help, or information, rather than sell. Myself, I have a huge stash of cars and engines, around 4000 pieces of rolling stock alone. From time to time, I do sell something off. I'm always looking to add, but not much out there I don't already have or need. Mostly just filling in my "wants" these days. Or getting something just to say, "I've got one.", though that is not normally the case. Deals mean more money for more trains. That's what we, here, seem to be about. Not adding to someone's retirement fund.

And three classifieds, not even in the scale I model, will get much of my attention. Good luck in your venture. I DO wish you success, though your bad-mouthing the members here won't get you far.

Another cup of mud, please.

Bob

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all good and well that the guy "is making a ton of money". I'm not destitute by any stretch of the imagination. But, the prices floored me. I'm just glad the guy doesn't have to feed those items. He maybe keeping them for a while. I just received a near mint pre-war Lionel set yesterday, that I paid $75 to get. A steal, yes, but that's what I look for....good deals. Got lucky on this one. Maybe not so lucky next time. No, it's not my scale, but is a nice addition to my collection, which seems to becoming a trend with me lately....collecting.(I'll get some pics Reckers. It's unbelievable, the condition. Looks new!!!!)

Reckers said it best when he stated that most of us here wish to acquire, be it more stock, help, or information, rather than sell. Myself, I have a huge stash of cars and engines, around 4000 pieces of rolling stock alone. From time to time, I do sell something off. I'm always looking to add, but not much out there I don't already have or need. Mostly just filling in my "wants" these days. Or getting something just to say, "I've got one.", though that is not normally the case. Deals mean more money for more trains. That's what we, here, seem to be about. Not adding to someone's retirement fund.

And three classifieds, not even in the scale I model, will get much of my attention. Good luck in your venture. I DO wish you success, though your bad-mouthing the members here won't get you far.

Another cup of mud, please.

Bob
Hey guys, I appreciate your input and I'm not a model train expert by any stretch of imagination compared to you. I had a Lionel train as a kid over fifty years ago and I loved it. When I developed the site I did so to honor that memory. My main purpose is to hopefully connect a son and father out there with the same opportunity I had. It's one of my fondest childhood memories and it happened at Christmas, what a better time... It's okay if you choose not to support my site, buy from any of the registered site members or otherwise. We will make it happen it will succeed. Your input is always welcome.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I accept this and appreciate the explanation becuase frankly the first pass came off as sarcastic. I did not join this forum to engage in that manner of exchange but rather promote a free service to the community. I post an exclusive link to this forum to attract more like minded members. The comment I made about the fellow making a ton of money is what he does. He travels around the country searching for model trains at all types of venues. He buys low and sells high, isn't that what capitalism is all about? I have no control nor do I care to police asking price of any item on the site, it's not my business. If that offends members here then I'm lost for words.

Thank you,

Tom
Tom,

I have no problem with what you are doing. I think most of us on the site have a problem with what your 'ton of money' friend is doing. Yes, it's what capitalism is all about, etc. No, I don't feel you should police your customers or prices---it's not your responsibility. In my eyes, you're just trying to make a buck but don't understand your audience.

Since you took the time to post here and to respond, I'm going to share some thoughts with you. Disregard them if you'd like---doesn't matter, to me.

What we, collectively, would like to see is more people interested in model railroading. This site is about sharing information, cameraderie, and helping people get started or resolve problems. We're geeks with an obsession. That makes us fairly simple to understand, though: if what you offer makes model railroading cheaper, easier and more attractive, we like it. If it makes model railroading more expensive, harder to get into and less attractive to new entrants, we dislike it.

A person who "travels around the country searching for model trains at all types of venues. He buys low and sells high, isn't that what capitalism is all about?" is something I strongly dislike. They are people who add nothing to the value, but succeed in artificially inflating the prices. I will not buy from someone like that. I will not look at his ads, because he makes the hobby more expensive than it should be. He makes it harder for new people to get into because it's too expensive, once he and his kind are done with it. His greatest sin, though, is he simply does not understand or appreciate model railroading. For him, it's all about price, collectability, rarity, condition, and so on. I agree that what he does is legal; I agree that he's no worse than an art dealer, coin dealer, or stamp-dealer. That doesn't mean I have to like him or buy from him. He inflates the cost of a hobby I love and thereby damages it.

I regard your seller as a leech. I have no problem with people who collect or run trains acquiring or selling them: those people do so because they appreciate what we share. I do have a problem with those who make trains a commodity. In my heart, I believe your 'free service to the community'
is more correctly described as a service to your commodity dealers. I wish you well, but I object to those who you serve.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tom,

I have no problem with what you are doing. I think most of us on the site have a problem with what your 'ton of money' friend is doing. Yes, it's what capitalism is all about, etc. No, I don't feel you should police your customers or prices---it's not your responsibility. In my eyes, you're just trying to make a buck but don't understand your audience.

Since you took the time to post here and to respond, I'm going to share some thoughts with you. Disregard them if you'd like---doesn't matter, to me.

What we, collectively, would like to see is more people interested in model railroading. This site is about sharing information, cameraderie, and helping people get started or resolve problems. We're geeks with an obsession. That makes us fairly simple to understand, though: if what you offer makes model railroading cheaper, easier and more attractive, we like it. If it makes model railroading more expensive, harder to get into and less attractive to new entrants, we dislike it.

A person who "travels around the country searching for model trains at all types of venues. He buys low and sells high, isn't that what capitalism is all about?" is something I strongly dislike. They are people who add nothing to the value, but succeed in artificially inflating the prices. I will not buy from someone like that. I will not look at his ads, because he makes the hobby more expensive than it should be. He makes it harder for new people to get into because it's too expensive, once he and his kind are done with it. His greatest sin, though, is he simply does not understand or appreciate model railroading. For him, it's all about price, collectability, rarity, condition, and so on. I agree that what he does is legal; I agree that he's no worse than an art dealer, coin dealer, or stamp-dealer. That doesn't mean I have to like him or buy from him. He inflates the cost of a hobby I love and thereby damages it.

I regard your seller as a leech. I have no problem with people who collect or run trains acquiring or selling them: those people do so because they appreciate what we share. I do have a problem with those who make trains a commodity. In my heart, I believe your 'free service to the community'
is more correctly described as a service to your commodity dealers. I wish you well, but I object to those who you serve.
I see we are on the same page as it relates to advice and what to do with it. I believe in capitalism not restricted trade. If the market is restricted it will not flourish and grow, it will die and that will be the end of it. I believe our vision to extend the life of model train collecting; buying, selling and trading are mutually exclusive. I open the door for everyone, it's clear you selectively open it for a few and with that I agree to disagree. You are free to believe what you want to believe. I challenge you to invest, develop and launch a similar site and compete with me absed on your core values. It will be welcomed! Good luck :)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Tom,

You're welcome to run your site, solicit your customers, and do anything else that helps you generate income. So are your seller-customers. I have no interest in restricting your market---you and the leeches are welcome to do as you please. It's a free market and a free country.
That said, I'll vote with my feet. If I think a car dealership is too expensive, I'll shop elsewhere. If I can pay $2 for a can of beans at the convenience store or 39 cents for it at Walmart, I won't buy from the convenience store, much less look at their ads. Do you see where I'm heading? Both are welcome to do business, but the circular from the convenience store goes in the trash, unread.
Finally, I have no interest in opening a site. As I pointed out, sites like yours are a clearing-house that enable the leeches to make money off the rest of us. I defend your right to do so and their right to attempt to rip off their customers. It is your right, and theirs---the market door is wide open. That said, I have the right to walk right past you both and shop where the prices are realistic, because it is an open market and I don't need to support your business. You're welcome to throw your party, but I don't have to come and dance.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom,

You're welcome to run your site, solicit your customers, and do anything else that helps you generate income. So are your seller-customers. I have no interest in restricting your market---you and the leeches are welcome to do as you please. It's a free market and a free country.
That said, I'll vote with my feet. If I think a car dealership is too expensive, I'll shop elsewhere. If I can pay $2 for a can of beans at the convenience store or 39 cents for it at Walmart, I won't buy from the convenience store, much less look at their ads. Do you see where I'm heading? Both are welcome to do business, but the circular from the convenience store goes in the trash, unread.
Finally, I have no interest in opening a site. As I pointed out, sites like yours are a clearing-house that enable the leeches to make money off the rest of us. I defend your right to do so and their right to attempt to rip off their customers. It is your right, and theirs---the market door is wide open. That said, I have the right to walk right past you both and shop where the prices are realistic, because it is an open market and I don't need to support your business. You're welcome to throw your party, but I don't have to come and dance.
Perfect! I could not have said it better! I feel the same way. :D

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
i don't have issue with the price - seller, as a owner of property, entitled to ask whatever he pleases for his items. but then i'll be passing by shrugging.

now, hopefully you don't take personal offense. insulting you is not my goal and this is not directed at you personnaly.

in your other post i asked you when is next version of the website expected, but some time has passed and it seems like it is what it is. so i have to say I don't like your website.
and "don't like" is very mildly put. i find it uninviting, not clean (overloaded with unneeded stuff), eye tiring (color scheme is pain to look at), stencil made, uncomfortable to use. website is a tool and i refuse to use uncomfortable tool be it hardware or software (i did try to post my engines). with all the banners and graphics it comprises a classic homer simpson website design "ohhh! a dancing jesus! if there is better use for internet i haven't found it".

it doesn't require tons of money to come up with comfortable site, look at simplistic design of craigs list. no stupid, useless graphics. plain and simple, yet there is hardly anything out there more streamlined and efficient then them. i don't know how is back end of your website built, but i highly doubt it is on much higher level then the lacking front end, how do you expect me to trust reliability and security of my data in that DB?

not sure who eMarket media (that i understand responsible for creation) are and budget of the project was, but that "work" speaks for their proficiency level. proves once again that while everybody and their mother can code html and .net, it takes a professional to achieve professional results.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
so, in light of that couple non rhetorical questions:

what improvements are planned?
when do you plan on releasing the new version of your website?
what are your long term goals as far as the website?
what practices do you have in place to address customers or potential concerns (me) conserns?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Reck, what do you do for living? how do you feel when you see bad workmanship in your field?

I don't build websites myself anymore, but i play no less crucial role in software development life-cycle. I had the fortune to work on many projects, some for nationally recognized brands (i could say even "internationally" at one case), teaming up with excellent professionals. so i believe i know (first hand) what good web application looks like and what it takes to actually design and build one. And i do take pride in my work.

I fully realize that offered listing site its not cake walk to build. it is elaborate application that one doesn't just scratch build on a spree. obviously one looks for return on investment, releasing not fully functional tools that develop and improve as customers join and send suggestions on what they want to see. but that's no excuse for poor workmanship.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Anton,

I've known you long enough to realize two things. First, you don't cut corners on work or settle for 'good enough'. Second, you aren't shy about pointing it out when someone falls short of that standard. If you caught me turning out crappy work, you'd be in my case in a heartbeat. Since it's not me this time, I have the pleasure of egging you on as someone else learns you have that characteristic.

Last of all, I work in management for a trucking company. 10 years ago, we were involved in a disagreement with another company. My boss overheard me referred to, by one of them, as "Brian's Pit Bull." Brian's gone now, but the reputation is still there. One of our vendors told me the key to working with me successfully is to look at the front door to our building. "See where it has your company name, on the glass? I just pretend, when I walk in, it says 'Leonard's..' followed by the company name."

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
well, i can see why you saying that :rolleyes:
however,
if we talking hobby i can understand people lacking sertain skill who are still doing what they can, building stuff to the best of their abilities. i believe i try to be as encouraging as i can sharing what i do know. i'm personally not a sculptor nor painter, it will show on my work no matter how much i strive for better results.

but here we talking about apparently professional grade work. and i will not accept professionals providing anything less then extra professional grade work. "if you can't keep up, don't step up" said riddik. i participated in number of upstart projects and enough "remediation" projects. remediation meaning fixing non professional work of others and extra spending from customers pocket (if he is in position to spend more and didn't go under after such failure). and i love these - as the saying goes? "if there is a problem, chances are good money to be made solving it" :) and notice- it doesn't need to be expensive to be successful .

so thats why i'm asking - what are the future plans. based on my limited experience, if this is it - its done. the only way to survive from this is "we have a team that works on improving our application. updated version is expected at [some milestone]". so far no answer even though i see activity after my message.

for now what i see is a classic case of :

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
*BOL!!!* Love the drawings! Work by site members is a different matter----we learn as we go, and we share what we've learned. Professional work is a different matter. If you don't have the goods, it's good to sit back down.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts