Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -- We are cleaning out my dad's house -- he has an HO Train set that he built on a 4x8 back in the 1960's / early 1970's. The trains he has are newer and not worth the time it takes to type this, however his layout has some old buildings that he put together. The lettering on the outside is in German -- any idea if there is a forum expert on old buildings? I'd want to get them into the hands of someone who recognizes their value, but have little go on to create an Ebay post.

Here's an example of one of the buildings.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
There is a guy here with user name MichaelE who might be able to help. He has a German themed layout. But he may never look at this thread, unless you edit the title to add “on HO German buildings” after input.

I tried to alert him by conversation, but was unable to do so.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
There is a guy here with user name MichaelE who might be able to help. He has a German themed layout. But he may never look at this thread, unless you edit the title to add “on HO German buildings” after input.

I tried to alert him by conversation, but was unable to do so.
Same here, for some reason he is not allowing conversations. Maybe he will see this.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I'm not an expert on older European import structure kits. Faller, Noch, Busch, Kibri, and Volmer are major manufactures of structure kits in Europe. Usually, the manufacturer is molded into the baseplate, but not always.

If I had to guess at the age of the structure in the photograph I would say late '60's or early '70's. The building represented is post-war around the 1950's or later.

These aren't worth much on the market especially in this condition. That looks like mold on the shaded side closest to the camera. Unbuilt vintage kits are worth more especially if they are no longer produced. Some manufacturers will make popular kits for decades while others don't last that long. Many structures are modified slightly and released as a different structure too. The resemblance is usually recognizable immediately if you look at a lot of manufacturer's
structure kits.

That business would be right at home in any small German or Austrian village or town.

He did a nice job on that. The only thing missing are the flower boxes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MichaelE -- I saw the mold AFTER I published. We will be cleaning everything up and likely selling as a bundle on Ebay for a modest price, but I appreciate your input. I'm not hoping to become a millionaire on this -- just want to get them into the hands of someone who appreciates them and can use them as part of their layout. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts