Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thanks for posting @ERIE610!

We are very proud of the new tank cars. I hope everyone likes them!

As far as the price increase goes, I could try my best to explain the astronomical shipping costs and rising cost of materials but at the end of the day, folks are still going to be upset about it. Believe me, we are upset, too.

We've done our best to maintain the $19.99 price point on train cars. The fact that we haven't had a price increase since 2006 should say something.

-Mark the Menards Train Guy

·
Admin
46,379 Posts
Yep, you knew a price increase had to be coming. I was talking to Scott Mann from 3rd Rail and he was telling me about the inflation of shipping from China, the prices have gone up by multiples of last year's price!

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
At $25 still a great price for the tankers. It will be interesting to see what other rolling stock show up before Christmas.

A hint from Mark the Menards guy in regards to if production will be going forward for the F unit diesels would be helpful.

Bill

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The UTLX basic black with yellow safety markings are 99% of what I see on modern railroads in the Midwest.

A search on eBay or even in hobby stores will result in very few of these basic looking tank cars. When I see them in consists in the real world, there are as many as 50.

MTH and Lionel have them but at nearly $85 or thereabouts. Therein lies the issue. To add a couple does not recreate realism. But to do an O scale layout with perhaps 20 of these would run you well over $1200.

So this might be an instance where I buy a Menards rolling stock item. I won’t buy the 40 foot box cars. But I have been thinking about a solution to this ethanol / fuels tanker problem including painting cheaply purchased tank cars.

I am not a fan of tank cars with a lot of color and slogans. I see very few of the colorful tank cars in actual operation.

I’ll have to look into this but as GRJ notes, if I have to update the trucks and couplers it is less a value.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The UTLX basic black with yellow safety markings are 99% of what I see on modern railroads in the Midwest.

A search on eBay or even in hobby stores will result in very few of these basic looking tank cars. When I see them in consists in the real world, there are as many as 50.

MTH and Lionel have them but at nearly $85 or thereabouts. Therein lies the issue. To add a couple does not recreate realism. But to do an O scale layout with perhaps 20 of these would run you well over $1200.

So this might be an instance where I buy a Menards rolling stock item. I won’t buy the 40 foot box cars. But I have been thinking about a solution to this ethanol / fuels tanker problem including painting cheaply purchased tank cars.

I am not a fan of tank cars with a lot of color and slogans. I see very few of the colorful tank cars in actual operation.

I’ll have to look into this but as GRJ notes, if I have to update the trucks and couplers it is less a value.
You can order a 6-pack for the price of 5. Order two or three 6-packs and you'd have the start of a pretty nice O-gauge consist. And no two cars are numbered alike.

The UTLX tankers would be my top choice too, but they're a little too modern (both the cars AND the paint schemes) for the time frame I like to model. If you want to be prototypically correct, you would want to run them with modern diesels in modern road names. I don't know if the Sunoco cars are a prototypical scheme, but if not they're at least fairly plausible. The rest are undoubtedly fantasy foo-foo schemes, which don't interest me.

The trucks and couplers are plastic. I've noticed that on some of the plastic-truck cars I have purchased, is that the needle-point axles are a smidge too long. Thereby putting a fair amount of friction and drag on the cars. There are a couple of different ways to fix this. One way is to take the axles out of the frames and file a little bit off the ends of the axles. I've successfully done this on the cars I've bought, which isn't a big deal if you don't have too many to do.

Another option which I haven't tried, is to simply put a drop of oil on the needle-point axle ends, which is kinda' hinted at by Menard's (i.e., "For best results, lubricate all metal parts before running"). And/or, you might be able to squeeze the truck frames a little bit in a vice, right at the axle locations, and thereby driving the needle-point axles a little deeper into the plastic and thus giving them some room to freely rotate. Like I say, I haven't tried that yet, but I will on the next plastic truck-equipped car I purchase (if I don't forget, that is).

The plastic couplers are pretty good for the most part. But I believe the cars are fairly light weight and may take a good little slam to get them to couple together. I would weigh them down a little if I purchased some. But without owning any of these at the moment, I don't know how easy or hard it is to pop the tank open and add some weight to the insides. I dunno, I may be tempted to buy one in the near future just to check it out and see how it ticks. ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ditto! Here in the Kansas City area the ULTX is very common. KCS has some with their logo in Black as well.
I would be first in line to buy one or two Menards tank cars if they came up with a KCS LOGO tank car in black livery. Even at the $25 price tag. Or the same if they came up with a Mobil Oil MOBX tank car in black livery. I have several Lionel MPC Era Mobilgas in red or white or plus other single dome Mobil tank cars. My Father worked for Mobil Oil repairing the real tank cars for 35 years or so.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just purchased a UTLX tank car from the local Menards.
I have not been to Menards in a few days. Looks like I will have to make a run over there to check the Train Stuff for the latest releases.
On another note. I have one only each of the modern Tank Cars as shown below. Paid the $19.99 ea. last year. Now the very same Tank Car is priced at the $24.99 level. Probably because they are "Modern" tank car just like the new issue Tank Cars. Even the 6 car Dealer Packs of the elder cars reflect the new price bump up. These three cars are online only unless there is a stray or two out there at a Menards.

Train Wheel Vehicle Product Rolling stock
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Automotive tire
Vehicle Cylinder Gas Machine Font

1 - 13 of 13 Posts