Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the local Menards yesterday and the new tankers had not arrived yet at that store. With the 11% in store rebate ending tomorrow until sometime after the first of the year may have to order online and have delivered to the store. The tankers look the same as the Tide tankers that were released a year or so ago. If they are identical then they will be terrific, I have 2 of the Tide tankers and have had zero truck issues with them.

Bill

Train Land vehicle Wheel Rolling stock Nature

·
Admin
46,404 Posts
Well, a sample of two doesn't inspire me to order these. The trucks look exactly like the trucks on the 50+ Menards boxcar and tankcars I already have, and I've had coupler and truck issues with many of them. On virtually all of my Menard's stuff with this truck design, the wheels are out of gauge by about .05". That doesn't seem like much, but it's the difference between smooth running and a rocky road with Gargraves track and Ross switches. My Lionel, MTH, K-Line, Atlas, etc. rolling stock doesn't exhibit the same bumpy ride over the switches at the Menards cars.

The basic design of the trucks isn't all that bad, however it's the QC that falls down. Now that they've kicked the price by 25%, time will tell if they spent some of that money making the trucks more reliable.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I can't see the attraction of these fantasy paint schemes companies come up with. It's as bad as Tyco in the 70s.

Reactions: Old_Hobo

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It is a trade off. I have no Menards box cars or anything anymore because for me the details are lacking.

On another note - I was at Menards today and as always I checked out the O Scale and LeMax (Christmas) offerings.

The new Menards dealership building is very nice. Not as it is found, but as a constructed building that a modeler can tweak. The one I saw was a display, so it was lighted.

The curved glass for the showroom is unique and offers a strong view inside. Well lit. The issue is the walls and such are plain, so a buyer has a lot of work buying desks, putting a couple of scale cars in there. I can't remember if the floor was painted or made to look like tile, but I believe it was plain.
The sign location is perfect for scratch building a sign or buying one off ebay. The F O R D and B U I C K and O L D S provided signs are not impressive, except they fit. I don't think Miller makes a manufacturer sign that would fit but a 1950's era sign for the manufacturer of your choice would be nice.

Details could be added or improved in the 2 bays. Overall, this is what would account for a small town "agency" as dealerships used to be called. I was impressed.

The rotating Ford delivery truck on the roof is a gee whiz thing that needs to go. Of course this would be a great place for a Manufacturer sign in 3D, not just flat.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts