Model Train Forum banner

1 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the 2017 Ready to Run catalog. Some interesting changes

http://mthtrains.com/sites/default/files/catalog_files/2017_ortr/index.html

Moving to wifi android/ios app control for the RTR sets. I think it's bold move. Not everyone has a smart phone or tablet. If you can control more than one engine from that wifi control that could be a game changer though.

Other thought I had after looking through it is wow. There are a lot of holiday engines in here. Not too shocking but an interesting trend.

·
Registered
881 Posts
This worst RTR Catalog I have seen in a while. I hope they make more black stallion ES44s with new numbers in the Volume 2 catalog.

The "DCS WIFI Mini" is a great idea but what if you don't have a smart phone or tablet to use?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
This is a very good Ready-To-Run catalog. In all the years MTH has been in existence, I've ordered exactly one item from a Ready-To-Run catalog. But there will be several from this one.

The CP Christmas Train is outstanding! Also some nice Christmas rolling stock to add to my Christmas trains. And, at long last my patience has been rewarded.... The Operating Sunoco Gas Station!

I also like the Jurassic Pork Barb-Que roadside stand. :D I love the names of some of the other buildings too.

Can my fortunes continue with the release of a scale Reading Crusader set in the Volume II catalog??!!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
If you are into Christmas or Halloween themed stuff this is a great catalog. The CP Christmas Train will be a terrific seller. I always wondered why no importer had copied the CP real deal.

Looks like NS was the focus of the catalog with all their unique paint schemes.

Bill

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This worst RTR Catalog I have seen in a while. I hope they make more black stallion ES44s with new numbers in the Volume 2 catalog.

The "DCS WIFI Mini" is a great idea but what if you don't have a smart phone or tablet to use?
I'm pretty sure you can get a tablet for well under $100 to use with this. The amazon kindle fires come to mind.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Nice catalog but nothing I need or want in it. As was said, cute names on some o the buildings, Jurassic Pork, Dirty Hoe, Ditcher Quick and Hyde Divorce Attorneys, etc.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Pretty sure that anybody who can spring for $400+ to buy a toy train already has an appropriate "smart" device to run it with.

I'm a die hard WBB/Lionel guy, conventional runner and "scale" does not appeal to me, so I don't normally pay much mind to MTH, but all the chatter about the DCS WiFi got me lookin'. Nice catalog. Intriguing.

Pete

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Pretty sure that anybody who can spring for $400+ to buy a toy train already has an appropriate "smart" device to run it with.

I'm a die hard WBB/Lionel guy, conventional runner and "scale" does not appeal to me, so I don't normally pay much mind to MTH, but all the chatter about the DCS WiFi got me lookin'. Nice catalog. Intriguing.

Pete
Yep, digital command for modern trains is on the way. My 10 year old grandaughter knows more about this stuff than I will ever know. Its just the sign of the times.

Bill

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I kinda like the CP Dash 8 Christmas train, but I mostly like the Christmas rolling stock. I'm not a fan of MTH engines.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts

Pete
Texas Pete, I play bass too and I lived in Galveston at one time.:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
The move to the wifi mini is brilliant in my view, it will use the same app as full DCS so the user will be fully familiar with all that system has to offer, rather than buying a plastic box with a wheel to run the trains or the mini-commander which had a totally different interface than the full DCS remote.

If they can catch the ready-to-run buyer, use the app for push notifications (which they aren't currently doing, but which it will do) to encourage those buyers into joining the MTH club or opting in for more emails they can keep their brand and products front and center in the mind of the buyer. If they can then engage with those buyers (like these forums do) they will build more interest and further that consumer towards becoming a real life hobbyist.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also, being a parent of a 9 & 11 year old, having a large social circle of friends who have kids of the same age, and generally being on the upper side of middle class, I know of not one 9,10, or 11 year old who doesn't have access to a smart phone or tablet -- most have their own even, especially tablets.

The cost on these has fallen in recent years, an iPad mini is about $225, the Kindle Fire is $49, and most cellular companies will give you an Andriod tablet with a data plan agreement. For the buyer of the $700.00 CP Christmas train a smart phone is not a bearer to purchase, they have one already, or two, or three, or four.....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If my layout had a 10 inch tablet with shiny graphics to run the engines and control the switches the kids wouldn't be able to leave the train room when they were here :)

My son is 6 and his friends are in the 5-8 age range and the full dcs remote is way too much for them. The remote commander I have is ok but the kids want to point it at the train and not the box so all of them get frustrated. They like the lionchief remote and the old school z-1000 controllers the best but a tablet would put them over the edge.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What I REALLY like is the DCS Explorer interface unit. ( Page 3 ) For me personally the 2 clubs I belong to are TMCC. It would be nice to run some MTH engines in command mode. I'm just not willing to disconnect and bring my TIU to a show. This little explorer divice is going to be great for doing this, and MSRP is $50 less than msrp on the WiFi device alone. Can't wait for this one..

·
Admin
43,173 Posts
The Explorer looks like a one channel TIU that only has passive mode and also includes WiFi. It is a nice answer to the question, keeping in mind that for a large layout, it would probably experience issues with DCS signal propagation.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Guess I forgot to mention that these are modular layouts. So they range from 16 X 16 to 45 X 65. Hopefully it will not be a problem most of the time.
Thanks for the heads up though.....

·
Registered
547 Posts
I can tell you for sure one TIU channel won't do a 45 x 65 layout, we were running a 46 x 44 layout and had issues with two TIU channels.
Even if I'm only doing one track ? Maybe even less if it's a "signal lite " version. It should be interesting.
Now the question is how long before we can get our hands on one of these.....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm interested to know if the wifi unit can control more than one engine at a time. If so it would be perfect for a layout the size of mine. I think I will definitely get one for my ceiling layout. Hopefully be a drop in replacement for the remote Commander

1 - 23 of 23 Posts