Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Retired about 4 years now. A recent conversation between wife and I about a train around the XMas tree got me into opening up old crates and breaking out my untouched set from 1963. All was in pretty good shape considering. Next thing you know I’m a carpenter and a 12’x8’ coffee table later I’ve spent a fortune creating a model railroad world for yet unborn grandkids... playing with trains has become a reborn pastime that has gotten me through the winter and now the Spring? Anyway, always get googled to this forum when seeking answers and pretty simple to join so here I am. See y’all around down the line...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Hi all!

Retired about 4 years now. A recent conversation between wife and I about a train around the XMas tree got me into opening up old crates and breaking out my untouched set from 1963. All was in pretty good shape considering. Next thing you know I’m a carpenter and a 12’x8’ coffee table later I’ve spent a fortune creating a model railroad world for yet unborn grandkids... playing with trains has become a reborn pastime that has gotten me through the winter and now the Spring? Anyway, always get googled to this forum when seeking answers and pretty simple to join so here I am. See y’all around down the line...

Chuck64;

Welcome to the forum! What scale are your trains from 1963? A layout 12' x 8' sounds like a good size, as long as you don't have it up against a wall or two. Then access to the middle might be a problem. We have plenty of grandpas here who have built layouts at least nominally for the enjoyment of their grandchildren. You are the first I know of who has built a layout for grandchildren who haven't even been born yet! Now that takes some serious imagination! :laugh:

again Welcome;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. My single mom somehow managed back then to save up and buy me a Lionel train mix which I vaguely recall picking out the loco, cars, train station, little lantern man, LW trans, with enough O27 track to build a good sized oval. So I decided in tribute to the past to go forward with nothing but vintage and full O27 without regard to everything I’ve read about it being inferior to O and what not...ran good for me as a kid. Despite a few challenges, now I’m running 3 lines. It’s clearly become obsessive to the point where imagination has created far more than future grandchildren, trust me. Only thing, while I continually pat myself on the back for fixing this or bringing that back to life, after reading some of the various self help threads on the forum I feel like a butcher at an electrical engineers’ convention. Anyway, will look out for hearing what you think as well and learning lots more than I know now... this way the grandkids wont be disappointed 5-10 yrs from now.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Thank you. My single mom somehow managed back then to save up and buy me a Lionel train mix which I vaguely recall picking out the loco, cars, train station, little lantern man, LW trans, with enough O27 track to build a good sized oval. So I decided in tribute to the past to go forward with nothing but vintage and full O27 without regard to everything I’ve read about it being inferior to O and what not...ran good for me as a kid. Despite a few challenges, now I’m running 3 lines. It’s clearly become obsessive to the point where imagination has created far more than future grandchildren, trust me. Only thing, while I continually pat myself on the back for fixing this or bringing that back to life, after reading some of the various self help threads on the forum I feel like a butcher at an electrical engineers’ convention. Anyway, will look out for hearing what you think as well and learning lots more than I know now... this way the grandkids wont be disappointed 5-10 yrs from now.

Ha Ha Ha, Welcome to the forum. :D
This is what I was laughing at>>>>I feel like a butcher at an electrical engineers’ convention.

Post in the O forum your layout, if you want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome Chuck64.....creating a model railroad world for as yet unborn grandkids? I totally get it. I have recently got back into this hobby for the same reason...8 month old grandson! I figure it will be a couple of years yet before he is old enough to appreciate model trains, but if I'm being honest, it will take me some time to have a layout completed. Well, do we ever really get to the completed stage? Always something that can be added. Anyway, I look forward to the day not so far away that my grandson's eyes will light up when he comes for a visit.

I've been researching and planning for a couple of months now and finally took the plunge today by ordering an NCE Power Cab DCC setup, a locomotive, and some track. N scale. I have a good idea of what I want to do with a layout and have scribbled down some ideas, as well as played a bit with some track planning software. Just waiting for some DVD media I ordered to arrive. Then I will decide on exactly what I will do with a trackplan. I just thought I would get a couple of the more expensive items purchased now before I start on the actual benchwork. It should only get easier on the wallet as I continue, right? LOL

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
Easier on the wallet.
I doubt it, :p

But, I guess it all depends on how big your wallet is.
And what you take a fancy to. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
It’s clearly become obsessive to the point where imagination has created far more than future grandchildren, trust me.
Whaaat? Obsessive? Why, we wouldn’t know anything about that!! No sirrrr. Lol.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your layout. Look forward to seeing it develop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hear ya, Big Ed....lots of $$$ will be spent yet. But the items I have purchased today are some of the more costly items to get started with. You guys in the USA are spoiled when one compares our prices here in Canada to yours. A $.37 exchange rate, and a 13% tax thrown on top of that is a killer here. Buying items from the US, where there is more to choose from, and at much lower prices is not something I would do unless there is an item that "I just gotta have". So I stay in my lane most of the time. But hey...I have health care. [spoken with tongue in cheek]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts