Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always skeptical of new ideas but I bought this small shaker for model paints, hoping it would work well. It does - amazingly well. Easy to use and very effective.

If you are like me you are always using small model paints in bottles that have sat on the shelf for weeks if not months (or even years). All the pigment is at the bottom, all the clear carrier floating at the top of the bottle. Stirring them up with a brush helps, but that is messy and never seems to work as well as I want.

A minute or two in this thing and the paint is perfect, every time. The whole thing vibrates a bit as it does its job, but it doesn't tend to walk across the workbench as I feared it might - it stays where I put it. Altogether, a nice little tool.

I got mine on Amazon, but I imagine they are pretty easy to find. I had just never seen one before.

Shake It Up.jpg

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just a thought for the cheap people like me.
What if you went to a thrift store and purchased an old aquarium pump, then used tie wraps or tape to hold the bottle to the pump. Those sucker vibrate like heck.

Dan

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'd be interested to know whether you find this tool effective with oil/solvent-based paints like Floquil and Polly Scale. The ones I have are in round bottles, which I am not sure the tool is designed to hold although the manufacturer's own description says it's for 1/4 - 2 oz bottles.

I've invested in a bunch of Tamiya paint stirrers as manually shaking a bottle of such paint - or indeed more recent Testor's paints of the kind that appears to be in your photo - does nothing to dislodge the pigment from where it has settled. Using the stirrers can be a hit and miss exercise and is certainly messy! :(

Of course many of the paints I have are now pretty old which I suppose accounts for some of my problems (quite apart from being pretty old myself) :eek:.

T

·
0 Posts
I've invested in a bunch of Tamiya paint stirrers as manually shaking a bottle of such paint - or indeed more recent Testor's paints of the kind that appears to be in your photo - does nothing to dislodge the pigment from where it has settled. Using the stirrers can be a hit and miss exercise and is certainly messy! :(

Of course many of the paints I have are now pretty old which I suppose accounts for some of my problems (quite apart from being pretty old myself) :eek:.
I add a couple of BBs (From a Red Rider BB Gun) to those little glass bottles before shaking them. It helps dislodge any pigment sediment from the bottom of the bottle. I think it would work even better with BBs and Lee's electric shaker.

Emile

·
Registered
481 Posts
Searched Amazon for "hobby paint mixer" and got Lee's mixer (with a battery powered version for $9 less) and two handheld, battery powered mixers. I have the one from Badger for $12.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hobby+paint+mixer&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Using the Tamiya stirrers (which also came up in the above search) and the Badger mixer allowed me to save a couple of old bottles of Scalecoat I. And I use the stirrers and Badger on newly purchased paint since I don't know how long ago it was manufactured.

Several years ago I used the clothes dryer, w/o heat setting, and taped the bottles to the drum (very securely with duct tape) and ran it for many minutes--this worked provided the pigments had been dislodged from the bottom of the jars.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I use the battery powered mixers that resemble a mini milkshake mixer. They do the job very well, even on old pigments.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Maybe one of the dual diaphragm models? When I kept aquariums those things would vibrate themselves silly. You couldn't put them near anything or they would start making all sorts of noise if they touched anything.

I used to keep them on a folded up face cloth.

·
Registered
378 Posts
COLLECT WHAT I LIKE

Hello. I have securely attached regular aerosol paint cans to a modified Saws All blade. The Saws All blade motion at a low setting works best. This just might work on the smaller jars of paint.

JUST A THOUGHT HERE

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so far this works with all the paints I've wanted, Testors, Floquil, and Tamiya. I like it. It is convenient and compact enough it does not get in the way.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
i think that i might have to get one of these ... it's a small price to pay for something ready made, that can make an old bottle of paint useable again, specially through the airbrush ..
if it gets used two or three times a year, it will be worth while ..

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had the battery powered version (4 "D" cells) for years and it works great on all kinds of paint and shapes of bottles. I put a couple of BB's in the bottle before shaking.

Mine doesn't dance around the work table at all. I think the weight of the 4 batteries helps keep it in place. One thing to note is that after lots of use, the rubber belt that holds the bottle tends to tear at one of the holes. I bought a package of 4 or 6 replacement belts and that has kept me going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts