Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 2 of the 4 are doing this so that makes it harder.

engine starts up, as soon as it starts to move forward it shuts down. no circuit popping. When you try to restart up the engine it says not on track. Power off and on track and remote and repeat process. Doing it with a diesel and steam, both MTH PS2, both have run fine since the expansion. Other steam running fine. Tried deleting the steam from the system and putting it back in and that didn't help. Didn't try that with the diesel. If you want model numbers I can go look them up. Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Admin
45,491 Posts
First thing to do is to fire up the locomotive on the track, start it up so you have idle sounds. Once it's running, kill track power. The sounds should run on for a few seconds and go through a complete shutdown. If they cut out early, the battery is low.

If you charge it on the track at 12V or more for 1/2 an hour and the sounds still cut out, the battery or the charging circuit is suspect.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SP shut down in a second after turning off power. B&O took maybe 2 seconds. So, guess it is batteries. Kinda odd to happen at same time.

so I saw a model number for a Radio Shack battery that is Ok to use.

·
Admin
45,491 Posts
It needs to be the 7 cell NiMh or NiCad battery that puts out 8.4 volts, don't use the 6 cell batteries that only put out 7.2 volts, they will damage the charger and they won't work properly. That's for the 30-1191-1 with the 5V boards. The 30-2867-1 is a 3V PS/2 product and takes a different battery. You'll probably have to get the battery for that one from an MTH dealer, it has a special connector and isn't a stock battery like the other one.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the one I saw in another forum or something when I googled that is one to use.

Enercell® "9V" Ni-MH Battery
Model: RS17R8H-2C1 | Catalog #: 23-748

·
Admin
45,491 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I charged the diesel (different battery) for about 20 min and then tried to run it and it ran. Does that mean I need to just let it charge for 12 hours now? going to let it sit while running an errand and come back and see what happens with it. Also, what is the lifespan of these batteries?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did a 20 min charge on the B&O and its running now. Still thinking new batteries though, perhaps these are just at "end of life"???

·
Admin
45,491 Posts
Yes, let it charge for 12 hours at 12 volts or more track voltage. I recommend you use a short test track, turn down the sound control, and connect a transformer to the track. I like to have them where they're in an area that people can readily see that they're not on fire! ;)

If the battery in one was just replaced, they should last for many years. I'd charge them and then see if you still need a battery, no reason to run out and buy them now.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one that was replaced was replaced with a battery thad had been sitting here for some time so not sure how "new" it was. The other one had not been replaced.

I'll see what they do and yes, I will have them on a test track.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Hope it works out Karen, you've been hitting some stumbling blocks lately, maybe you need to add a lucky horseshoe to the decor? I have my fingers crossed for you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts