Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USPS dropped of this MTH Premier 36 ft woodside reefer yesterday from Pats Trains. Billboard type reefer from the early 1900's. I use to chew Mail Pouch many decades ago

Bill

P4060016.JPG

P4060017.JPG

P4060018.JPG

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
It looks great.!

I got 'em too. I grew up in the western US where is seemed every other barn had a Mail Pouch ad painted on its side.

had to have that car.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
It looks great.!

I got 'em too. I grew up in the western US where is seemed every other barn had a Mail Pouch ad painted on its side.

had to have that car.

Many, many barns across Missouri and Illinois also had that painted advertisement on the roofs. You could see them for miles.

Great looking car.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Back in the day a farmer/rancher could get their roof & maybe the barn painted for little $ or for free if they let the advertiser paint the structure with their product advertisements. Most of the barns chosen were on main highways not on some dirt road way back in the Boonies.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Mail Pouch barn painting started in 1891 and ended in 1992. Approx. 20,000 barns were painted in 22 states with most of the painting in the midwest. In the early days farmers received the equivalent of $40 for allowing the barn to be painted but most farmers signed up for the paint job and not the cash.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts