Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a new/used locomotive. I am increasing my Erie steam roster to three with this locomotive. It is an MTH Erie 2-10-0 with a PS/2 3v operating system.

The engine looked brand new when I pulled it out of the box. No problems with loose or broken parts. First thing I did was to open up the tender and remove the old 2 cell battery pack. I replaced it with a BCR2 and reinstalled the shell.

After connecting the tender to the engine with the solid drawbar, I powered it up. The tender clicked and the DCS remote found the engine and set it up. When I hit "start up", nothing happened. The remote read "maintenance required" every time I hit start. I reset the maintenance feature and tried again. It gave the same message again and failed to power up.

At this point, I checked the info. It showed 10500 miles and 240 hours on the chrono! I couldn't believe it, owing to the excellent condition of the engine. Now I checked for conventional operation and the same problem...no go.

I checked the solid drawbar and noticed the plug on the engine end of the drawbar looked like it was partially out of place. I reconnected the plug and the engine now worked in conventional.

Now, going back to DCS, I again received the Maintenance message again. This time I did a factory reset on the engine. I re-entered the loco in the remote and this time it started right up!

I rechecked the info and now the mileage was 36 and just shy of 2 hours on the chrono. More like it!

So, here it is. A Russian Decapod used by the Erie and classed as a J-2. Built for the Russian government in 1918, the fleet of locos was retained due to the Russian revolution and dispersed among various US railroads, with the Erie receiving the most, 75 in all.

The MTH version is really nice. Lots of chains and re-railing frogs on the tender and the darkened running gear on the engine. The tender has a rather long end sill or "back porch" which isn't prototypical. I may explore cutting it down and installing a shorter shank coupler...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Good looking engine. The rear tender beam is pretty unique. I wonder why it was made that way?
Is there enough slack in the harness that plugs into the drawbar on the engine side? Sometimes its too tight and will work itself loose after going through a few curves.

Pete

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Perrys Toy Exchange in Mt Airy, MD can likely help with your tender. He has a brick and mortar store and sells MTH parts on eBay. Seller name perrystoyexchange.

Pete

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Great looking locomotive Tom.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Randy. It was a bit unsettling to have a total failure at the start. I was imagining bad boards, crushed wires etc.

Pete, yes the harness is a bit tight in the engine. I had to use tweezers to squeeze the connection together as I couldn't get enough slack to get my finger tips in there.

I think all the MTH Russians have that odd tender beam. Maybe it was to achieve a tighter clearance on curves? I have a Shawmut 2-10-0 that has the same porch, but that was correct for that particular locomotive. I will see if I can get a second "porch" and machine it down to the right size. Then it will need a shorter coupler.

Jeff, they were small Decapods, smaller than Pennsy I1s. They made excellent locomotives for lighter rail on branches and mine complexes. The chrono was a weird thing. No idea about that!

Thanks Gary and Michael. I had one in HO but I didn't know MTH made a O scale Erie version.

John, the first shipment is on its way to you. Once I get shelves up, you send the stuff back, right?

Tom

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
That is a nice looking loco. I love the Russian decapods, great engines, and have one (but not Erie).

I have so many problems with the MTh wireless drawbar that I consider it a design flaw, and avoid buying new PS3 steamers when I can, trying to get the older tether models in their place where I can find one in good condition instead.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Spence.

And Thank you, Lee. I will want to give the wireless tether some more attention as it does seem flawed. I don't care for the way you have to snap the one part into the other to make the connection. Mine doesn't seem very secure...

Going back to the tender end sill discussion, it seems the MTH Western Maryland version of this 2-10-0 has the correct tender with the short end sill. I tried various ways of looking at various end sills for different engines, but basically hit a wall at the MTH parts lookup. So many steam engines never had "exploded" views made up...

Tom

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I purchased one on at York … A PS 3. Best whistle I have heard yet!!!
Mine has a deep tone to it. It does sound great. The PS3 version you have is probably much better!

Tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
They were blowing them out for 700.00. I was looking for a Santa Fe but ended up with a Western Maryland Fireball road name.
Fantastic Detail... Can't believe I am late to the game with MTH. They have some really nice stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I read that the "back porch" on the tenders is prototypical. The engines were built with a 5 ft gauge for Russia. And converted to standard gauge for the American Market.

PSN1.jpg

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
That is a lovely locomotive. Decapods are just very cool, all of them, but I think the Russian ones are some of the most handsome ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts