Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Finally got the last of the plywood that I needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
93firebird question: my layout is a 4x8 sheet of plywood I am using fast track I want to make 3 ovals on my platform like in your picture. I only have one oval on my 4x8 sheet so far. The oval is using 36” curves. What size curves would I need for the inner oval or ovals like yours. What track are you using and what specific LionChief trains do you have. My layout is also using LionChief. Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
93firebird question: my layout is a 4x8 sheet of plywood I am using fast track I want to make 3 ovals on my platform like in your picture. I only have one oval on my 4x8 sheet so far. The oval is using 36” curves. What size curves would I need for the inner oval or ovals like yours. What track are you using and what specific LionChief trains do you have. My layout is also using LionChief. Thanks.
That lower level is 62" wide so it is a loop of 60" radius then 48" then 36" not sure you can get three loops of fast track in a 4x8 unless you do a 48", 36", and then an O27 inner.

·
Registered
190 Posts
93firebird thanks for answering back. What size is your platform. Are you using fast track. I have one oval right now on my 4x8 it has 46”curves. To get 2 loops on my 4x8 you are saying make the outer oval with 48”curves and the inner oval with 36” curves and it will work on my 4x8. You just do not know if I can get 3 ovals on my 4x8 like yours. Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
93firebird. Your 3 ovals are 60”curves outer than 48”curves inner than 36”curves inner. Is it fast track. Your platform must be bigger than 4x8 to fit 3 ovals.
For 2 ovals on my 4x8 you said 48”curves outer and 36”curves inner. If I am to get 3 ovals you said do an inner oval of 27”curves. Do you mean 31” curves.
Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
O31 will not fit inside of the O36 unless you use a small straight section on the O36, but then your O36 may not fit inside of the O48.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What small straight section are you talking about. Also I do not know about you but I really like using fast track. Where do you buy yours because it’s really expensive. Thanks for the help and answering back.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What small straight section are you talking about. Also I do not know about you but I really like using fast track. Where do you buy yours because it’s really expensive. Thanks for the help and answering back.
Dude, you're going back and forth asking the same questions and getting pretty much the same answers. We can't design your layout for you. You need to start internalizing and thinking on your own. Previously, I mentioned SCARM track design s/w. You need to download it and design your layout. The S/W license is free for up to 100 pieces of track so it won't cost you anything.

Below are two an examples from SCARM. In the first you can see FT 48" curves will not fit on a 48" wide sheet. As to 93Firebird's post, the second pic shows the only way to fit 3 FT loops on 48". And the numerous small straights that make it possible will significantly drive up the cost.

O-48.png

O-36.png

·
Registered
890 Posts
Word. I also mentioned anyrail software, which has all the track liabraries. (either software works, I have anyrail) Here's a pic from anyrail of 2 fastrack loops with an inside 027. Outside fastrack loop is 36" curves and the middle fastrack is 31" curves. Of course the inside track is 027 track. But remember that your trains may not run on those curves.

fastrack1.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks again Mike and Tom. So it does not matter if you do 2 loops or 3 loops on 4x8. You still need small straight pieces either way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Having some issues with Gargraves O72 switches derailing locos. Most of the issues happen with Lionel units. One being a newer Lionchief GP9. The leading truck clears the switch just fine, but the trailing truck want's to lift up and derail. Anyone have any tips for fine tuning the switches? I don't seem to have any issues with the few O100 just the O72.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts