3,393 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Sherman

Great to welcome another Floridian to the Forum. Keep us posted on
your progress and know that you have a lot of friends here who will
be glad to help with any problem that pops up.

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I added a 12,000btu a/c to the garage to keep things cool this summer and will be starting on an expansion to a U from the end of the table top to a wall run, I will be using existing shelving that may work out but the problem is I have an uphill run of about 7-8' with a 7" rise with 90 degree bends at either part of the crosseover from the tabletop to the shelving so I am surveying the situation. My experience with an earlier over/under layout did not bode well and was scrapped.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
You may want to rethink that grade, that's about 7% or more. (7 inches in 100 inches = 7%)
Most model RRs try to keep grades at 2% if possible or at most a 3% grade.
Even the best of locos won't pull 7% without cars let alone a train.
The 90° curves make matters even worse.

Magic

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you loud and clear, I have to figure out how to elevate the tabletop to reduce the climb because the shelving that I want to use is already in place and cannot be changed or scrape the shelving which will be very difficult at this point in time.2X4s on edge will reduce the slope by 4' which still means 3 degrees which is still unacceptable----2X6 will work but lifting the tabletop will be a problem that I will just have to work out without stripping everything off and starting over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fresolved the elevation problem with a complete change to the shelving and reduced the grade change to 0 degrees, ordered up 150' of flextrak and cork so tracktime is coming. What does everyone use to drive the track nails?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The exisiting second level of shelving has had 6 1/2" removed from each post lowering the top of the shelve to the same height as the tabletop 32".

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I fresolved the elevation problem with a complete change to the shelving and reduced the grade change to 0 degrees, ordered up 150' of flextrak and cork so tracktime is coming. What does everyone use to drive the track nails?

A punch and a small finishing hammer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts