Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother in law purchased for me for christmas an HO scale Bachmann model train set that she found in a thrift store. Ian not sure what year it’s from but based on the boxes contents and the bachmann instructions it’s befor the 1990”s. It did not however come with rail joiners and I live in Fort St John BC and there is no hobby shop near me so I wanted to know where the best places online to shop for model trains and accessories. What else should I consider buying to better enjoy this new hobby. I look forward to any and all information.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You'll need about 5000 feet of new track, a few hundred rolling stock, and many more locomotives.

Just kidding... sort of, but you can get the rail joiners on amazon. You'll find them to use with code 83/100, and that should fit your track. There's other retailers, like modeltrainstuff.com, trainworld, and patstrains. Just search for model trains and you'll find them.

About the joiners though... does the track have a grey plastic roadbed attached? If it does, I'm surprised there aren't joiners already attached. But, a 1990 kit may have been before 'ez-track' with the roadbed attached.

ADDED: Be sure it has all the wires and power supply needed to run. It will need a wire that connects to the track somehow. You'll need 5 posts to post pictures, but that will be helpful to show what you got so we'll know you have everything you need.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The track is older track no grey track bed. The set did not come in its original box as there were other cars and cabooses with it along with some track. It had the paper instructions for the original set that it started with which is the emd f series diesel locomotive by bachmann which was sometime in the 70”s. It has a power pack along with about a dozen pieces of rolling stock some trees and that fake green grass. My plan is to start with a 4c8 sheeet of plywood to set it up on and then slowly add additional sheets to extend the layout over time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
While you wait for the joiners, take a scotchbrite pad and give the track a good rub down, and wipe clean with isopropal alcohol. The locos probably would use a cleaning and re-lube, too. If they have screws where you can open the gear boxes, do that. If you don't have any hobby lube/grease, get some of that too. Get a bottle of plastic friendly oil with a long needle like applicator, and some silicon grease.

Also, if you don't have a set of jewels screwdrivers, get that too, and some side cutters and small needlenose pliers. If you're old like me, get a magnifying glass, or some sort of magnifying glasses. That can probably wait, just something to consider if you choose to stay in the hobby.

ADDED: Don't use steelwool. The fibers can get sucked into the innards and cause heartburn, literally.

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=186572&highlight=magnifier

This is one of many sets to choose from. None are super high quality, but they will work fine for your purposes:

https://www.amazon.com/Hautton-Prec...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-17...d_r=2APKY075JS9GN2JYNZK3&psc=1&qid=1577841634

https://www.amazon.com/Apical-6-Pie...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02105A...1718&s=industrial&sprefix=need,industrial,157

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What’s a good online hobby store to buy from for HO Scale or even a good site where people sell off there collections and What not. As I stated there is not a hobby shop anywhere near where I live

·
Registered
890 Posts
For trains those sites I mention are a good place to start. Ebay and Craislist to sell parts, and even here in the 'for sale sections'.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I order track and track related accessories from Model Train Stuff. Good prices on track and Peco turnouts, fast shipping too.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
What’s a good online hobby store to buy from for HO Scale or even a good site where people sell off there collections and What not. As I stated there is not a hobby shop anywhere near where I live
EBay and Craigslist are OK, but you have to know enough to make sure you're getting what you really want.

Model Train Stuff and Trainworld are my go-to suppliers, although I will order direct from Walthers for hard to find items. I order specialized tools from MicroMark and Paint and scratchbuilding supplies from Scale Hobbyist. I have ordered from a couple of other places as well, generally without issues (the one place I did have a problem with is now out of business).

Rail joiners you should be able to get from anybody. You will need the right code, though (code of the rail is its height in thousandths of an inch). Since yours is probably an intro set, I'm betting you have code 100 rail.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Are you sure you don't already have rail joiners?
Tracks in train sets usually come with track in
curved and straight sections. Each section usually
has one joiner on each end.

Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked and did not see any and I tried to connect the track together but there are no rail joiners iam assuminf that who ever took apart this set did not realize the small brass joiners were part of the set

·
Registered
890 Posts
So, is the track brass? Or perhaps it's steel. If so, you may want to invest in some new nickle-silver track, if you have the budget for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believed the track is brass as it has the brass colouration to it. What is the benefit of the nickel plated track, and will the two types of track work together?

·
Registered
890 Posts
The old track will oxidize easily and will require a good cleaning, and continued maintenance. New track will still get dirty but it won't tarnish. I don't know about using the 2 together. It should work as far as I guess, but not sure they should be used together long term.

Your old track will require good cleaning, maybe with some brass polish and then wiped with alcohol, but I've never used it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't know for sure since I have no experience with the older track, but I think that might be steel. Someone else may be able to answer that.

Take a clearing closeup.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
That looks like nickle silver or steel to me. Brass has a distinctive golden color.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It looks really clean for 20-30 year old track, so it may be nickle-silver. If it is, great! If there is any rust spots then it's steel.

·
Registered
890 Posts
While you're taking pics, post up all the other stuff. Lets make sure you have what you need to run. Particularly the transformer and connectors/wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are pics of everything that came in the box

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts