Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am not new to train layouts and had a 00 scale layout a few years ago, but space meant it had to go. Interest has never gone away though. So here I am trying out z scale for the first time. I've always been fascinated by its small size. Anyway got a Marklin starter set to try it out. And expand on it, hopefully. What I wand to know. On the Marklin feeder track under it is a small capacitor and if you look at photo some sort of heat sink covering something on the wires. Is this important as I want to do away with this straight and solder two wires to a curve. Yes I can get a markiln feeder curve, but not in the radius I need. Anyway I test run the set with two wires from the controller to track without this capacitor and what ever that is on the Markiln wire but will this do any harm as the capacitor and whatever is in that heat sink must be there for some reason ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the answer

Hello guys I cant believe know one could come up with the answer to this question. Anyway with a bit off digging I got it, so for anyone else looking to know.

The Marklin catalog suggests that the heatshrinked device is for interference suppression.

Capacitors are normally on feeder tracks for interference suppression reasons

You could solder wires directly to the rails as long as there's no interference with the neighbor's Radios / TV's / Cellphones!

Neighbors when did they ever care about me :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts