Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it was a good thing our golf match was called off today. So with nothing to do I decided to try my hand at a patch. That didn't work out to well because I didn't have the masking tape secure enough and it bled through forcing me to patch more then I wanted. We'll see how that works out? What I did find though is a new method using chalks. A few weeks ago I painted 4 cars with a 70/30 - thinner/white paint mix to dull up the cars. Then I used the same 70/30 rust mix but after the 3rd car the gun got clogged and I had to quit. I decided to add some rust colored chalk to the 4th car which is much easier to apply and dullcoat it later. When I added the patch I didn't want to wait for it to dry so I put it under a construction high intensity light. When I brought the car over to my work bench I wanted to change some of the chalk rust color weathering but found It was baked on. It wasn't coming off. I guess the heat it baked into the white paint. I guess it's like that powered paint they spray on in factories. That's the new method I'll be using from now on. If I make a mistake with the weathering I can change it before baking it in.
George

baked_on_rust.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Annie I only wanted to patch half way up the car. We'll see how it's works when I add the lettering. Anyhow I'm more excited about added the chalk weathering and being able to bake it in.
George

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Did you just luck out and not melt the plastic, or did you experiment with scrap plastic first? Did you have to turn the car to expose all sides with chalk to the heat? What did you come up with for a good working distance?

I agree, it looks great.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you just luck out and not melt the plastic, or did you experiment with scrap plastic first? Did you have to turn the car to expose all sides with chalk to the heat? What did you come up with for a good working distance?
Thanks Fire. The distance was how it looks in the photo about 10 inches. I didn't think it would melt the plastic but thought the car may be a goner with the screwup. I only heated one side but when I picked up the car it was hot. I'm going to guess it heated up the paint enough to infuse the chalk.

George

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other thing. I had a small decal on the car when I put it under the lamp. It destroyed the decal. So if your going to try this do on a car without any decals. George

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to give this new method another try so I used an old Life Like gondola car for the test. The chalk didn't adhere as well but the plastic was much thicker. I may have to spray it with a matte finish. I'll have to handle the car for a while and see what happens? The heat did bow the plastic some what but for the good it looks authentic.
George

nyc_life_like.jpg

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Yeah, it looks excellent!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts