Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only 15, I have a 20x8" layout, a work in progress, hope to learn a few things here

I don't really have an era I model, I just basically call it a short line with equipment It could scrape up for use. But is locomotives last used in the 70's, cars from the 30's, modern tank cars...etc

What is the proper term for that kinda of modeling, Eye=candy layout?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum. All layouts are eye candy :D Your layout seems to reflect a mid 1960s branchline so you can take it from there:thumbsup: I do the same as it allows me to run just about anything up to that point though it's kinda hard to explain my CSX C44-9Ws:rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the board! Here in New Mexico, we only had a couple main lines, the rest were all branchlines and spurlines. Even the Santa Fe Railroad never made it to Santa Fe! The spurline that took goods and passengers from Lamy, where it stopped, into Santa Fe, is just about in my back yard.

All of the trains that took that line used whatever mix of cars they could get their hands on. Even today the Santa Fe Southern that runs freight the 18 miles between Lamy and Santa Fe uses boxes from the 30s, they've just mounted them on modern frames and trucks.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Even today the Santa Fe Southern that runs freight the 18 miles between Lamy and Santa Fe uses boxes from the 30s, they've just mounted them on modern frames and trucks.
Really? That is quite interesting... I would figure that the only place to the those kind of cars would be in some sort of museum or something, LOL :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HO..... Really easy to build with in opinion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Grain Box, I forgot to ask in my original post, what scale are you modeling? Is it O scale by any chance? :D

EDIT: Oh snap, I do not think a O scale RR can fit in a 20x8" layout
You jest of course. I have built my Osclae layout in 4 feet by 6 feet :D Complete with yard, roundhouse, mine area, resort area etc etc :D
My new layout will be about the same except I plan to add a sawmill :D:D

It is On30 :p :D

Anyhow, to Grain Box, the guy who started this thread. You are doing what we call "freelance" and I do it all the time simply because i like to run whatever the heck I feel like :D

It works for me anyhow.

Welcome and don't forget to have fun :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts