Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order turnouts. What is the button-like feature on the attached picture of an Atlas snapswitch? Is that a manual switch throw, such as a way to use the switch before I wire it?

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
Migbait, I would order only one or two of those switch machines to try out. Are you mounting them under the table?
You might soon find you need something a little more robust. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Migbait, I would order only one or two of those switch machines to try out. Are you mounting them under the table?
You might soon find you need something a little more robust. Just sayin'...
I get the sense he's ordering Atlas turnouts (not just switch machines) that include the electrically controlled machine. Exactly the standard sort of thing a beginner would use on a basic layout.

The switch machines for the snap switches are mounted on the side of the switch, they're not designed for under-table mounting.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Note to wire and control the switch you'll need the switch controller (electrical switch) as well.

It's easiest to use the Atlas components for this; you could do it with standard parts, but need to understand the correct types of switches needed, included a momentary push-button since these switch machines use solenoid coils that cannot take constant power or they'll burn out and melt.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I am about to order turnouts. What is the button-like feature on the attached picture of an Atlas snapswitch? Is that a manual switch throw, such as a way to use the switch before I wire it?
Migbait;

The Atlas "Snap Switch" Is not the best choice for turnouts. Peco would be much better "right out of the box." Pecos are noted for mechanical reliability, rugged construction, and few, if any, derailments.
That said, if you prefer to use Atlas snap switches, they can be made pretty reliable using the information in the file "Improving Atlas turnouts" attached below. Most of the problems the Atlas snap switches have are due to that twin-coil switch machine in your photo. It's quite weak, and many things on snap switches like the rivets, and "loosey goosey" point rails, are there to let that weak switch machine move the points.
Twin-coil switch machines are also easy to burn out. Holding the button down more than two seconds can do it. Also the Atlas blue button control for that switch machine, has been known to short out internally and fry the coils in the switch machine. All these electrical disasters can be prevented by using a simple circuit called a Capacitive Discharge Unit (CDU)

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I get the sense he's ordering Atlas turnouts (not just switch machines) that include the electrically controlled machine. Exactly the standard sort of thing a beginner would use on a basic layout.

The switch machines for the snap switches are mounted on the side of the switch, they're not designed for under-table mounting.
cv_acr;

F,Y,I. Atlas does sell an under the table mounting adapter for the twin-coil switch machine shown in the OP's photo. ,

Traction Fan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Migbait;

The Atlas "Snap Switch" Is not the best choice for turnouts. Peco would be much better "right out of the box." Pecos are noted for mechanical reliability, rugged construction, and few, if any, derailments.
That said, if you prefer to use Atlas snap switches, they can be made pretty reliable using the information in the file "Improving Atlas turnouts" attached below. Most of the problems the Atlas snap switches have are due to that twin-coil switch machine in your photo. It's quite weak, and many things on snap switches like the rivets, and "loosey goosey" point rails, are there to let that weak switch machine move the points.
Twin-coil switch machines are also easy to burn out. Holding the button down more than two seconds can do it. Also the Atlas blue button control for that switch machine, has been known to short out internally and fry the coils in the switch machine. All these electrical disasters can be prevented by using a simple circuit called a Capacitive Discharge Unit (CDU)

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂
Oops. I've aleady ordered the Atlas. I'll study that improvement document. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
That is not a turnout control.
What isn't? The thing he posted the picture of? It certainly is. It's Atlas's standard remote Snap switch machine.

Unless you are nit picking about the need for a separate remote switch to operate it remotely.

Or were you making a joking reference to their quality?

·
Registered
124 Posts
What isn't? The thing he posted the picture of? It certainly is. It's Atlas's standard remote Snap switch machine.

Unless you are nit picking about the need for a separate remote switch to operate it remotely.

Or were you making a joking reference to their quality?
Actually, its not a turnout control. It is an Atlas #200 snap relay. Most commonly used for frog power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize that I will eventually need a switch panel. Just needed to know what that button does because Atlas does not explain what it does in their schematic. (At least not the one I dug up.)

·
Registered
786 Posts
It's just a manual operator to slide the solenoid plunger back and forth by hand. Both the Snap Switch and the Snap Relay have it.

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
Actually, its not a turnout control. It is an Atlas #200 snap relay. Most commonly used for frog power.
I'll take your word for it. I haven't touched an Atlas turnout in 15 years, and have no plans to go back.

Reactions: kilowatt62

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I'll take your word for it. I haven't touched an Atlas turnout in 15 years, and have no plans to go back.
CTValley;

I enlarged the OP's photo, and kilowatt62 is correct. Enlarged I can see the word "relay" on the case and the terminal labels are those for a relay. It does look like the Atlas switch machine though. I made the same assumption as you and the others. o_O

regards;

Traction Fan 🙂

1 - 16 of 16 Posts