Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

I am a recent newbie - to say its been many years since I had my train layout and it seems much has changed in the tech side certainly. My son has taken an avid interest and I am looking to plan and work with him to build a small HO layout. It is this basis that drives the questions:

FYI - I was looking to make the period circa mid 30's to late 40's. (et. steam?) city mountains theme -European old town - eg Austria

Questions:
1. wanted to passenger trolley car - smaller gauge track I assume, have this in the city area on an automated program (possible ?) any pointers

2. Any great guides on HO layouts (specifically for limited space) looking for min curve and clearance, incline guides, tunnels dimensions etc.....

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
Have you checked the Layout Design Forum here?

There are suggested and actually operating layouts
of various sizes.

The best way to take advantage of the layouts is
to see them as pieces of a puzzle. You might like
a Yard in one layout, a scenic area in another, and
so on. Then you use your creativity to assemble
them into your own unique track plan.

You mention streetcars (Trams) as a possibility.
Most systems use a standard or near standard
gauge, but there are a few narrow gauge systems.
You'll find the widest selection of streetcar models
in HO scale.

Don

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
There are track plans all over the place. As Don said, we have two sticky threads in the layout design section with a bunch of them; Model Railroader magazine has an entire database available to subscribers, and there are dozens of books available. Take your pick.

There are a number of trolleys available that run on normal HO standard gauge. Since space is limited, you might want to get one of those (they're all US prototypes, though; no Euroopean stuff that I've seen).

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Hi Forum,

I am a recent newbie - to say its been many years since I had my train layout and it seems much has changed in the tech side certainly. My son has taken an avid interest and I am looking to plan and work with him to build a small HO layout. It is this basis that drives the questions:

FYI - I was looking to make the period circa mid 30's to late 40's. (et. steam?) city mountains theme -European old town - eg Austria

Questions:
1. wanted to passenger trolley car - smaller gauge track I assume, have this in the city area on an automated program (possible ?) any pointers

2. Any great guides on HO layouts (specifically for limited space) looking for min curve and clearance, incline guides, tunnels dimensions etc.....
itolond:

Welcome to the forum! In addition to the prior recommendations, I suggest you look at our sections titled, "European Railways", and "The Stevenage & District Model Railway." They may have some European prototype layouts that you can pick up ideas from. Also look into Marklin and other European manufacturers, on their websites.

European narrow-gauge trams may be pretty scarce. There may be some Japanese prototypes that you could adapt. Or the mechanisms from American trolleys like Bachman's PCC cars, or Brill trolleys, might be a base for a kitbash, though in standard gauge. However they make the same models in N scale. That would be equivalent to 30" gauge in HO-scale. A bit under the meter gauge used on some European equipment. If you can find a suitable mechanism in HOn-3 that would be even closer at 36", only a bit over 3" shy of a meter.

On a much more general basis, the book "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson covers all the basics quite well. You can order a copy from https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books

The files attached below also have a lot of general model railroading information. I wrote them for true newbies, thinking about building their very first layout. Since you have some experience, albeit not recent, you may find a lot that you already know in them. Just browse, and pick out anything that interests you. Consider them as what they are; suggestions that you can adopt, or reject, as you see fit. It's going to be your and your son's railroad, so what you build, how you build it, and everything else about it, only needs to satisfy the two of you. :)

have fun;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment WHERE DO I START 3.pdf

View attachment 1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment All AboutTurnouts.pdf

View attachment Model Railroad Terminology 2.2.pdf

View attachment MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.