Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m moving to Santa Fe, so I thought I’d add the ATSF Blue Goose to my collection. I’ve bought an MTH 20-3079-1 Santa Fe Blue Goose 4-6-4 Steam loco.

I’m relatively new, so have a very elementary question. All my other locomotives are modern Lionel O scale ones that run on FastTrack tracks. Will this new loco run on the FastTrack? If not, what should I get? There seem to be so many types. On Trainz I see a dozen track types.

I don’t have a computerized setup. Most things like switches etc. are manually operated. If I did have to get new track, it would be nice if it worked with Fast Track—and if it were extensible for computerized switching etc., although not necessary.

Also I assume my Lionel transformers will work? Thanks again!
Shankha

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Just about any O gauge loco will run on just about any O gauge track. There are a few exceptions. Locos with scale flanges will have trouble on tubular track. Some prewar locos will have problems with O27 track. Like John said, you do have to heed the curve diameter limit of the loco. Some will run tighter diameter track, but not by much.

What Lionel transformer do you have? MTH locos do not play well with the CW-80.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have a CW-80. Oh no. Do I need to get another transformer? If so, what would you suggest that’s good quality but also mode rarely priced? I’m OK on the O54 curves.

so what’s the difference between all these different track types? Just the way they attach to each other And whether or bit they have a roadbed? Why would I choose an Atlas over MTH or Lionel? Thanks much.

Shankha

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Here is an except from an MTH manual. They like pure sine waves. I use Lionel post war transformers. If you get one of those you will need to add a fast acting circuit breaker or fuse and TVS diodes to protect the PC boards in the Loco.

Choice of track depends on several factors. Here is a track poll from a few years ago.

Track Poll.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick reply. So if I get one from the chart, like a ZW, I don’t have to tinker with circuit breakers and diodes?

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
The ZW post war transformer has a breaker, but it doesn't act fast enough to protect modern trains. It only protects itself. A modern big bucks ZW-L or MTH Z-4000 won't require breakers or diodes. I use 2 post war ZWs on my main layout. I have fast acting automotive fuses as well as Eaton FAZ breakers (belts and suspenders). I also have TVS diodes at each power drop.
There are several threads on the forum that give more details on circuit protection.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Here's a link to a reputable dealer of restored Postwar transformers: Tranz4mr's. Shipping on the "Big Daddy" ZW runs $30+.

The TVS diode "spike" suppression is simple. See this eBay Link. But I would ask Tranz4mr's if he provides/installs the diodes as an option. Fast auto fuse are readily available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts