Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please let me start off by saying in advance how much I appreciate the help and great information found here. As a kid in the 60's I grew up with Lionel 027 and will pass that set to one of my grandsons. My other grandsons (8 and 6) have initially gravitated to N scale for now. I'm starting out on a 9'x5' table with an outside double oval and an inner oval and loop with a spur. Down the road this will be the basis of an early 1900's alpine (SBB, DB, OBB) scene. Is it feasible to do up the outer loops with Marklin HO (AC) and the inner loops for HO DC? I'm attracted to Marklin for the great detail, especially for a Euro theme. I have newer M track and some nice stock. The inner loops will be with Atlas flex track, replacing the Casadio brass track that's currently on the board. Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
That will work out fine. I have a beautiful Märklin Br.17 locomotive my son gave to me last Christmas. He was not aware that all Märklin is AC and I have a DCC layout.

It is sitting as a town display on a short piece of track in Michaelstadt.

I have often thought about adding a short oval of C track inside part of my HOm line to run this lokomotive, but right now it's just an idea that I don't readily have room for.

Willkommen!

Reactions: Sea Change

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
It is important that the AC track NEVER touches the
DC track...damage will result. There should be no
turnout ability for a train to go from the AC to the DC
track or the other way around.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vielen dank! My intention is to keep both the Märklin M track and the DC tracks and circuitry completely separate from each other on the same board. I am really wondering if this has been done by others and how it worked out as the layout is developed with modeling. Alternatively I could try to do two separate boards, one for Märklin and the other for DC HO. I'd prefer to keep them on the same board. I have both DCC and analog Märklin locomotives. How can I run them both on the Märklin loops? Do I understand correctly that DCC has fixed current running to the middle track with speed controlled digitally and analog having variable current for speed control? Can I run the DCC engines as analog?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I'm not familiar enough with Märklin digital and DCC systems to be able to answer that. I have never had a Märklin AC layout.

Your best bet is to ask at either Stummi Modellbahn Forum, or something in English, Reynaulds Forums.

Links for both are below. The Stummi MoBa forum is strictly German.

A third forum which is pretty active is Railways of Germany. There are several Märklin modelers as members.

Stummi MoBa Fora

Reynauld's Forums

Railways of Germany

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'm trying to have the best of both worlds. It's easier now for me to see how complex and offputting getting off the ground with trains can be. For now I'm going to shoot for analog AC on the 2 outside connected loops and analog HO on the inside. Digital can come later. It doesn't help that much of Marklins stuff is proprietary and an exception to many of the rules. Love the look of your engine and scene Michael. Hope you get to run it soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts