Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Digitrax dcs 52 station set up and my locos stutter on the turnouts with a beep from the station(indicating a short) and then continue on. The turnouts are electric Bachmann and manual Pescos and all turnouts are insul frogs

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
One possible cause of the 'short' indication could be wide treads on your
loco wheels touching where the straight and divert rails are insulated apart
by a very slim plastic insert. I had that experience with Peco Insulfrogs.
An easy fix is to use a tiny dab of clear nail
polish on ONE of the rails at that point. If that works you can continue it,
or some have carefully FILED ONE of the rails so the tread cannot touch
both at the same time.

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the nail polish but it didn't fix the problem, I should explain better the problem. I have several switches Bachmann electric and Peco sl88 and sl89 manuals with 2 crossovers made up of the Peco sl88s and sl89s joined, and when I have the crossovers in a certain configuration and a loco crosses it get the stutter. I have not figured out the configuration that causes the short yet, it does not always happen. I am slowly replacing the bachmann with Peco to get rid of the derailing problem that the bachmann switches are plagued with. when I am running 5 18-25 car trains the bachmann switches are a constant problem where the Pecos are flawless with no derailing

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You'll have to get down to track level with a flashlight and slowly drive the locomotive over the points until it shorts to find out where it is doing this.

If it's not on the converging rails at the frog, it's somewhere else. Unless the nail polish was not applied in the correct area, or not enough was used, then it's happening somewhere else.

I had the same problem with one locomotive on a #8 Peco turnout. I first used a small sliver of gaffer's tape that fixed this problem, then switched to nail polish. The wheel tread is wider on this locomotive than the others. It is a TRIX locomotive and is the only TRIX locomotive I have which explains it. They may all do this for all I know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not just one loco causing the problem, it can be any of the 5 but I will recheck with the polish as suggested, with 2 crossovers there are several configurations but it only seems to be one that is the problem. Next time it happens I need to photo the crossovers and location of all trains. I have a mix of 8 wheel and 12 wheel locos.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to isolate the suspect switch if it turns out to be the one where the problem always occurs so the polish still may be the fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts