Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting back into trains after a 14 year hiatus (high school, college). My lionel set was in fairly bad shape, so I have decided to go with HO. Currently building tables to hold a sizable layout. Here's my first question: is there any way at all to convert use of my old Lionel ZW Transformer to an HO track.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is DCC a better way to go? I think the Lionel ZW is an AC unit

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Excuse Anton he is Lionel deficient,as I am DCC deficient,but a valuable conductor.:)
In the O scale forum we live for "in really bad shape". A ZW is all AC, you can use it for accessories. With such a large transformer you must of run a descent engine with it,worth working on?
We are next door if you want to discuss it. Nothing wrong with HO It's big these days. Whatever you do, don't throw it out!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Chroatech21...in other words, buy a new transformer if you need one for your HO, but don't throw out the old one. It's still useful to you or the friends you'll make on this site! The same goes for your Lionel set: if you want to bring it back from the dead, you've come to the right site. If you just want to find a good home for it, the same applies, and you'll get lots of good input on HO if that's the size you choose. HO and O are both very popular here. Welcome to the forum!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your help folks. I am going with the HO scale because it is smaller and will work better in the setting we are using. Sounds like DCC is the best way to go since we will definitely be running more than one engine off of it.

I will update my progress with photos as we come along.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
*grins*...and keep T-Man updated on what you plan to do with the old Lionel! He loves to get his hands on one that's supposed to be beyond redemption!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprisingly, the transformer is in good shape. My dad and I drove "a whole two hours" to a store to buy it in the mid 80's. I think it was necessary because my friend down the street had one that he inherited from his grandfather (you know how boys are). It has been stored in the attic for the past 14 years. It was strangely smaller and lighter than I remembered it- which is something that happens as we all grow up.

Im going with HO because you end up with a generous amount of space for decorating. Building my table today!!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
"it was strangely smaller and lighter than I remembered it- which is something that happens as we all grow up."

But the ZW 275 is one powerful transformer. Mines going to power just the trains.

Going to use my two 80 watts for accessories.

I got a small one for my turntable.

And if i need more I got a box of transformers waiting in a box.( both AC & DC):D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts