Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here's some of what I've got guys. This stuff belonged to my wife's grandpa and has been boxed up for 30 years. For now, I'm just trying to get it working. I've got a small section of track set up with a good transformer, getting power to the track, but can't seem to get things going. I'm wondering if I need to clean up & lube the motors, etc. to get them going. Any ideas on getting started?

·
Registered
135 Posts
We just started with our railroad - I had bought 1 new engine
and one old one from the 70's. The old engine was very sluggish
on getting going, and required a good deal of pushing until
it started going on its own power. It still can not be compared
to the new engine in smoothness. So I am sure with some work
your engines can start running good, as can mine. I would
suspect lubrication in the right spots (gears?) and cleaning
in other spots (electrical contacts?).

I'm sure there's more, but just to get things going:
http://www.ideamarketers.com/?HO_Steam_Locomotive_Drivers_and_Their_Care&articleid=322858

I would be very interested to hear what some of the other
more experienced members have to say.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Envy, envy...you have some nice old school pieces there, enjoy them. Compared to today's locomotives though, they do not and will not run as well without a good deal of tinkering. However, they will run with a good cleaning and that link TW gave you was one of the best I've seen.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Nice Collection!

Hi Kevin,
Those Casey Jones Varney Locos are real jems and look to be in terrific shape. The F9 Santa Fe unit and the Burlington GP unit look like AHM products or late Bachmann. Grandpa took great care of those and you are the better for having them in your possession. The web site is right on with the maintenence of Steam Locos....If you do general clean up & lube your gonna see the results. Good luck with your toys!:thumbsup::thumbsup:WOW I just put my specs on and saw the date on one of the Varney boxes....1959!! OHHH BABY! Once again you've really got something there my friend!

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
You're lucky Granpa invested in quality. I bought some HO in the 80's when it grew in popularity. Unfortunately the tyco diesels didn't age well. Bachmann engines were a little better and still run. At the time I didn't understand the quality thing. You get what you pay for. Looking back I should of invested in some cast engines but I did get a plastic Sante Fe Blue Goose by Rivarossi.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
FYI on Varney Engines & Rolling Stock

Hey Kevin,
Check out Ebay and get a good idea of what the going rate is for Varney products. I saw a Casey Jones 4-6-0 listed at $31.00 with 4 days left on the auction( no box or papers) For the true collector that criteria is very important(as is the physical condition of the items). I have a collection of AHM/Rivarossi Engines & Rolling stock that I periodically check on Ebay to gauge their worth. Once again you have a come into a great find and are the better for it. Enjoy your Toys!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts