Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here starting from scratch
Keep thinking I want a theme train and the Circus would seem to be cool to do
I've joined a club that models the local area with operations present day. Seems to me, Circus Trains ran basically everywhere and anywhere they entertained and a case can be made it's the appropriate definition of prototype no matter where the layout models.
I'm not sure if there are any more present day circus trains running but I love the F3 era and I would start with a ABBA F3 or similar and go from there.
looking for comments, opinions, helpful advice
I haven't done much research yet, but will in the days to come.
I would start with RTR is there is such and go from there.
Thanx much.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes there are some circus cars around. I have one. Think they were AHM. Probably others made them too. They are old time types. I’m not sure there are any newer types RTR but there may be. eBay is a good source.
The modern Ringling cars were largely modified from passenger equipment. Those trains were very long and also had flat cars to carry vehicles.

Modifying passenger cars to circus cars would be a nice kitbashing project.
There’s tons of photos on the web of the Ringling trains and I’m sure other companies as well.
Sounds like a fun project. Please keep us posted on your project.
And yes, I think there is one circus company that still has a train. Ringling ceased operations last year. ☹

·
Registered
639 Posts
There are allot of R2R circus trains out there. I think just about every train maker had one or more. You are right that most are going to be from the F era.

A quick search of eBay will show you lots of those.

However, the last incarnation of the Ringling train from 2017 would not be too hard to do. I think itwas just a set of streamlined passenger cars with the circus' name on the side followed by a set of flat cars with their trucks and trailers and such. All this pulled by a modern loco of whatever railroad they were traveling on.

All this is very extensively documented online so Google is your friend and you'll find lots of good source materiel. Good luck!

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you search "ho scale circus train" on eBay, there are lots of things that come up to wet your appetite.

I visited a Circus Modelers show at a mall in Pittsburgh a few years ago where there were a bunch of Circus layouts on display and operating. What a treat.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Miniature World in Victoria, BC has a neat model railroad setup of a circus train. They have the yard where the train assembles, a parade downtown with the circus and a large carnival setup as well. I use to take my kids there, but it was actually for me. Check out their website, as it has more photos... FDA68D2D-06A8-4172-B161-CE0760818E9C_1551548379748.png
They have some really good model railroad setup...cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanx everyone
Phil here, I started out as a Model Circus builder about 20 years ago. I am running a 13 car show at the Grand Strand mall in Myrtle Beach at this time until the first of April. It is based on circus trains from 1940 to the mid 50's. It would be great for your F3's. Hours open is 12 to 4 Mondays & Weds. 10 to 5 Saturdays.
More later with Pictures and more info

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts