Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, my name is Cory and I have been into trains since I was a little kid. Recently, my grandpa handed down to me a beat up Lionel 2035 with some track and some cars which I guess came as a set. Since I just graduated college I had a great deal of time on my hands and I decided to restore the engine and tender and bring it back to its former glory.

Since I will probable keep this engine forever, I decided to paint it with a slightly different paint scheme to make it stand out even more. So I started out by stripping what was left of the original paint and gave everything a good cleaning. I then proceeded to paint a two tone paint job on the boiler and add some color to the drive wheels. For decals, I used some dry transfers that closely resembled the engines original numbers and tender is the original stamp.

So after about 4 weeks the engine is finally done and I am very happy with the results. However, I was wondering if any of you guys would know where to find another headlight piece as the one in my engine and cracked and missing a good size chunk. Also, the engine runs very well but the gears seem a tad loud; is this normal for an engine of this age?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Cory

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Cory,

That looks AWESOME! Good for you for restoring this old girl. Really great job ... Ilove the two-tone paint scheme.

I'll defer to some of the old pros here on the Forum, but my #249's from '58 are running 'round the track just fine, but the gears/motor sure kick out some noise (at least when compared to my HO trains). Par for the course with these old Lionel?

TJ

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Ohh ... one other thing ...

Old Lionel service manual (via Greenberg's) says that that headlight lens for your 2035 is Part #1666E-20

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
You did a great job, Cory----she's beautiful. I don't run Lionel, but basics are basics. If you haven't cleaned out the old grease and replaced it with some fresh white lithium grease, you should consider it. Engines can go through a lot of years before finding an owner who will maintain them well. I've found grease in old ones that had aged into a hard mass and had to be scraped off instead of wiped. Beyond that, basic oiling and checking those shafts to see if any of the screws in the wheels are loose, making it rattle. Finally, hold it upside down and lift the drivewheel sets, one by one to see if they come away from the frame very far. There should be a little play, but not a lot. Over the years, heavy usage will round out the holes in the frame and leave a lot of slop for the axles to rattle around in.

It's a beautiful engine and you're a lucky guy to have it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You did a great job, Cory----she's beautiful. I don't run Lionel, but basics are basics. If you haven't cleaned out the old grease and replaced it with some fresh white lithium grease, you should consider it. Engines can go through a lot of years before finding an owner who will maintain them well. I've found grease in old ones that had aged into a hard mass and had to be scraped off instead of wiped. Beyond that, basic oiling and checking those shafts to see if any of the screws in the wheels are loose, making it rattle. Finally, hold it upside down and lift the drivewheel sets, one by one to see if they come away from the frame very far. There should be a little play, but not a lot. Over the years, heavy usage will round out the holes in the frame and leave a lot of slop for the axles to rattle around in.

It's a beautiful engine and you're a lucky guy to have it!
Thanks for the comment Reckers, and thanks for the help. I did oil the gears when I had the motor out. However, I did not check for play in the drive wheels.

Thanks again,
Cory

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Cory,

Can you pass along the source for your dry-rub white numbers? I saw some sheets of supposed-Lionel-like numbers on ebay recently, and I'm curious if they work OK.

Thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cory,

Can you pass along the source for your dry-rub white numbers? I saw some sheets of supposed-Lionel-like numbers on ebay recently, and I'm curious if they work OK.

Thanks,
TJ
Sure, the company is called Woodland Scenics and the code # for that batch is MG708. This code is for white decals, however, I wish I went to silver to better match the tender. Overall, they were extremely easy to use and look great and I would definitely recommend them.

Cory

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Tuner, that's some 1st class paint work:thumbsup:
I hope you enjoy that engine as much as your Grandad did! And by cleaning her up and maintaining her, the. "Legacy" continues:D

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Hey Cory,

Thanks ... that's a HUGE help. I've just checked out the Wood Scen (and Walthers) websites, and that "Railroad Roman" font looks pretty close to the number font on my Lionel #249 loco. (I didn't know WS made decals like this.) I recently repainted the orange stripe, but had to "cut in" around the original stamped numbers.

Thanks,
TJ

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
Thanks for the comment Reckers, and thanks for the help. I did oil the gears when I had the motor out. However, I did not check for play in the drive wheels.

Thanks again,
Cory
Nice job Cory it looks great.:thumbsup::D

But when you said,"I oiled the gears" it should have been I lubed the gears.

As the gears get lube not oil.
And not a whole lot just a little.

Also you might have been able to use a little epoxy to fill in that chunk out of the headlight before you painted it.
Right T man?:D

I can't see it in your picture.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Cory,

Thanks ... that's a HUGE help. I've just checked out the Wood Scen (and Walthers) websites, and that "Railroad Roman" font looks pretty close to the number font on my Lionel #249 loco. (I didn't know WS made decals like this.) I recently repainted the orange stripe, but had to "cut in" around the original stamped numbers.

Thanks,
TJ
No problem TJ, your lionel looks great as well. I guess you just can't beat the look of a freshly painted loco.:)

Cory

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job Cory it looks great.:thumbsup::D

But when you said,"I oiled the gears" it should have been I lubed the gears.

As the gears get lube not oil.
And not a whole lot just a little.

Also you might have been able to use a little epoxy to fill in that chunk out of the headlight before you painted it.
Right T man?:D

I can't see it in your picture.
Whoops, you caught me there.lol

I did mean that I lubed the gears, and I cleaned up alot of dust that worked it's way into the engine housing.

And thanks for the comment Ed.

Cory

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
Whoops, you caught me there.lol

I did mean that I lubed the gears, and I cleaned up alot of dust that worked it's way into the engine housing.

And thanks for the comment Ed.

Cory
I just wanted to be sure you lubed and not oiled.:D

Nice job I like the painted wheels too. Did you paint them while they were still on the Loco?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just wanted to be sure you lubed and not oiled.:D

Nice job I like the painted wheels too. Did you paint them while they were still on the Loco?
No, they were off the train when I painted them. I also removed all the drive gear so I wouldn't ruin it.

Pretty much the whole engine was in pieces and I cleaned each part before trying to put it all back together.

Cory

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Alright ...

A greenback / newbie question ...

Define difference between "oil" and "lube" ... I'm sure you've got some viscosity thing going on there, but clue me in, please!

I've been using a light 3-in-1 oil, but maybe I going down a stray path?

Help, help!

TJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright ...

A greenback / newbie question ...

Define difference between "oil" and "lube" ... I'm sure you've got some viscosity thing going on there, but clue me in, please!

I've been using a light 3-in-1 oil, but maybe I going down a stray path?

Help, help!

TJ
Your right TJ, oil is much thinner then its grease counterpart. On my train I used Marvel Mystery Oil on the rollers and on the tenders trucks. On the gears that power the train I used a type of grease I lightly apply with a old paintbush so I can get in the small, hard to reach places.

Hope that helps,
Cory

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Thanks, Cory ...

I'll make a point to go back and add some thicker LUBE to my gears, but in small doses, mind you. I actually have a 40-year-old tube of Lionel lube (and it doesn't look so bad!), but I'll likely see if I have some fresh stock of a machine grease somewhere around, too.

Much appreciated,

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Great Job! I like the paint.
Even with loose bearings these guys last forever. Noise is expected but it should not squeak. The pitting on the amature plate is an indicator of use. The deep grooves I sand down flush.
The 2035 is a later 50's model
So what's next??

TJ Saturday is a better day for the train show. The kids will like the LEGO dsiplay. I bring a camera but everthing runs too fast. The pictures are always a blur. I may go Sunday.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Horses for course's, All oils and greases are Lubricants and different applications require different lubes, I personally use Molybdenum Disulfide(commonly called Molly-slip) for gears as it has excellent cling and slip properties.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts