Model Train Forum banner

81 - 100 of 162 Posts

Β·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Another option would be to put a lip around the outside (clear lexan, foam, hardboard doesn't matter) about an in higher than the layou surface, which will keep any wayward equipment from taking the death plunge to the floor.
so far only 1 loco has taken the "death plunge" and i got it working again then my sister threw it into the brick wall and broke it so now it does not run very well and its shell is messed up:smilie_daumenneg:

:smilie_daumenpos:

Β·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
So, what did you do to your sister to make her brick your loco? :)
i finished the chocolate milk MY chocolate milk that I bought

Β·
Registered
2,233 Posts
@firescale22 -- just ignore those comments, a moderator will be by soon to delete them from your thread and get rid of this nuisance. In the meantime there's no reason to even acknowledge his replies, just carry on and enjoy what you're building.

Β·
Railroad Tycoon
23,720 Posts
@firescale22 -- just ignore those comments, a moderator will be by soon to delete them from your thread and get rid of this nuisance. In the meantime there's no reason to even acknowledge his replies, just carry on and enjoy what you're building.
Get rid of 2 of them, the a s s joined twice.
Look at the new member list he changed a O to o and signed up twice. Same handle. I guess he knew he would be banned and no one would see the other.
Looks like he has a screw or 2 missing? :smilie_daumenneg:

Β·
Railroad Tycoon
23,720 Posts

Β·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Look at the new member list he changed a O to o and signed up twice. Same handle. I guess he knew he would be banned and no one would see the other.

Β·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
---
My Bachmann loco is an N-scale EMD GP40 Santa Fe #3808 (blue & yellow). I also found info and pics of the prototype on the Web! :) This hobby is FASCINATING! :)
cool!

Β·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

NOBODY PANIC i just texted my friend eric after some suggesting and IP and seeing stationstar101's email yup it is the same as mine and the only friend that knows my email is him and he fessed up (only after i told him i would give him some food):laugh:
thx gunrunnerjohn tho :smilie_daumenpos::smilie_daumenpos::smilie_daumenpos:

Β·
Registered
9,626 Posts
NOBODY PANIC i just texted my friend eric after some suggesting and IP and seeing stationstar101's email yup it is the same as mine and the only friend that knows my email is him and he fessed up (only after i told him i would give him some food):laugh:
thx gunrunnerjohn tho :smilie_daumenpos::smilie_daumenpos::smilie_daumenpos:
Well, I'm glad it wasn't really someone being nasty. Although from what I understand (I didn't see any of it) his sense of humor is a little off. We try to keep things friendly here, and don't like to see that kind of thing, even in fun.

Does your friend like trains too? Have him join for real and make some positive contributions to the discussion.

Β·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Well, I'm glad it wasn't really someone being nasty. Although from what I understand (I didn't see any of it) his sense of humor is a little off. We try to keep things friendly here, and don't like to see that kind of thing, even in fun.

Does your friend like trains too? Have him join for real and make some positive contributions to the discussion.

yah sort of he does have 1 loco and some cars he likes crashing them and stuff like that he does a terrible sense of humor tho!

Β·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Worm gears & driveshafts

ok so this might sound stupid but whats a "wormgear" and a "driveshaft"
firescales22;

Asking questions is not stupid. It shows you are interested in learning.

A worm gear is a gear shaped like a machine screw.The threads of a worm gear mesh with the teeth of a conventional "spur"* gear shaped like a coin with teeth around the outside. The wom gear must rotate several times to rotate the spur gear once. This arrangement of worm, and spur, gears is used for reducing the high speed of an electric motor's central, steel, "drive shaft"** to a speed that will let a locomotive roll down the track at a reasonable speed.
Basic physics says that a mechanism can trade speed for mechanical power. Thus while the worm & spur drops the speed it gains power. If you lock at the jack of your family's automobile, you will likely see a screw, which is another form of a worm gear. Turning the jack's handle many times, by hand, will slowly raise the car. It would be impossible for all but extremely strong, body builder, type humans to lift one end of a car without the jack. Low speed, but lots of power.

"Stupid" is a very mild description of the recent behavior of your "friend" who seems to think using cuss words, and mean-spirited insults of your layout, on this forum, is "new", or "funny." Both are older than the two of you put together, and wasting the time of good people trying to help you isn't amusing in the least.

Traction Fan

* The name "spur" gear probably comes from the shape of the spurs a cowboy wears on his boots, and uses to control his horse.

** "Drive Shaft" is a very general term covering any long, round "shaft" that spins to move, or "drive" something. Today most passenger autos have front wheel drive, but older cars have a drive shaft that runs from the front-mounted engine to the rear wheels that drive the car. These old autos had a pronounced "hump" running down the center of the floor, to house the drive shaft. Modern heavy trucks and 4-wheel drive vehicles use a similar drive shaft arrangement.

Β·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
firescales22;

Asking questions is not stupid. It shows you are interested in learning.

A worm gear is a gear shaped like a machine screw.The threads of a worm gear mesh with the teeth of a conventional "spur"* gear shaped like a coin with teeth around the outside. The wom gear must rotate several times to rotate the spur gear once. This arrangement of worm, and spur, gears is used for reducing the high speed of an electric motor's central, steel, "drive shaft"** to a speed that will let a locomotive roll down the track at a reasonable speed.
Basic physics says that a mechanism can trade speed for mechanical power. Thus while the worm & spur drops the speed it gains power. If you lock at the jack of your family's automobile, you will likely see a screw, which is another form of a worm gear. Turning the jack's handle many times, by hand, will slowly raise the car. It would be impossible for all but extremely strong, body builder, type humans to lift one end of a car without the jack. Low speed, but lots of power.

[/B]"Stupid" is a very mild description of the recent behavior of your "friend" who seems to think using cuss words, and mean-spirited insults of your layout, on this forum, is "new", or "funny." Both are older than the two of you put together, and wasting the time of good people trying to help you isn't amusing in the least.

Traction Fan

* The name "spur" gear probably comes from the shape of the spurs a cowboy wears on his boots, and uses to control his horse.

** "Drive Shaft" is a very general term covering any long, round "shaft" that spins to move, or "drive" something. Today most passenger autos have front wheel drive, but older cars have a drive shaft that runs from the front-mounted engine to the rear wheels that drive the car. These old autos had a pronounced "hump" running down the center of the floor, to house the drive shaft. Modern heavy trucks and 4-wheel drive vehicles use a similar drive shaft arrangement.

i never said i thought i was funny
but thank you answering my question

Β·
Registered
9,626 Posts
i never said i thought i was funny
but thank you answering my question
He didn't either. He said your friend's behavior wasn't funny, and most people on this forum don't consider that kind of thing amusing.

81 - 100 of 162 Posts