Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I’ve finally decided to make a real model RR layout. I haven’t had trains since I was a kid but I’ve always loved them! I’m pretty excited and also overwhelmed at the complexity of some of the wiring schematics I’ve seen! Lots of questions to come in sure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I’m leaning toward DCC wiring and gone are the days of transformer 2 wires terminal track I see. I’m really looking for a basic DCC wiring perhaps just an oval to get the basics down. A DCC dictionary would help too to define words like bus, sub bus, etc. Soldering feeder wires directly to track is all new to me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ah. Well, I don't think the terms bus/sub-bus etc are specific to DCC. For a starter oval you won't need much of anything other than a connection to the track.

What scale are you thinking about? Depending on the track you use there are still connector rail sections or connectors to attach to the track, but a lot of people use flex track for the best aesthetics, so soldering to the track is usually the preferred choice. It doesn't have to the only choice, however.

Look at the top of the various forums and there are sticky threads that have a lot of good reference information for various topics to get you started.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
welcome to the forum ....
there are some that have handy beginner guides, they should chime in shortly ..

·
Registered
890 Posts
I just noticed they list them only compatible up to code 83 track (there should be explanation of track codes in those sticky threads somewhere, it's the scale size of the rails themselves). Code 100 track usually comes in a lot of ready to run kits so you will need a different feeder.... but, R2R kits will come with the feeder track included, so, yeah.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Hello all. I’ve finally decided to make a real model RR layout. I haven’t had trains since I was a kid but I’ve always loved them! I’m pretty excited and also overwhelmed at the complexity of some of the wiring schematics I’ve seen! Lots of questions to come in sure!

EJ&Keith;

Welcome to the forum!

You may be surprised to learn that connecting a DCC controller to a small layout consists of connecting two wires from the controller to the track. You can even use a terminal track if you like. Just like you did with your old DC power pack. Most of us just solder the wires to the outside of the rails, or you can use terminal rail joiners if you like. They are available in several sizes, not just for code 83 rail.

The files attached below are some that I wrote to help newbies, like you, who are planning on building their first layout. Read them if you like. They should provide enough information to get you started. You could probably also benefit from a good beginner's book. "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by jeff Wilson, is a great book to start out with. You can order a copy from https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books

again welcome;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

View attachment Choosing a Scale.pdf

View attachment 1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment 6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

View attachment MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

View attachment Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Don't know what complex wiring you might have
seen for DCC, but actually, DCC wiring amounts to
no more than 2 wires from the controller to the
simple oval track. If you go with a layout that is
larger, it is recommended that you have a track
drop every 6 feet or so connected to that same
2 wire feed.

There is no need of any
isolated blocks unless you have a very large
layout such as at a club or that includes a reverse loop
to turn trains around to go the other way on the
same track. Even that is utter simplicity using an
automatic reverse controller.

A DCC controller puts around 14 volts of modified
AC on your tracks at all times. (your loco lights don't
dim or go out when stopped) In addition to providing
power for the locos and cars it carries digital information
to the loco decoders. Each has a specific 2 or 4 digit
address. Your controller sends digital commands to
each. You can run 3, 4 or more trains on the same
track at the same time, each individually controlled
from your hand held device; perhaps even, one might be
backing. On a single oval with passing sidings you can run
train A clockwise while train B runs counter clockwise.

You have, here, a roster of Forum members with decades of
model railroad experience who are always happy to
help out with any concerns you may have.

Don

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
DCC wiring

Well I’m leaning toward DCC wiring and gone are the days of transformer 2 wires terminal track I see. I’m really looking for a basic DCC wiring perhaps just an oval to get the basics down. A DCC dictionary would help too to define words like bus, sub bus, etc. Soldering feeder wires directly to track is all new to me.
EJ&Keith;

Wiring for DCC is very simple. Two wires from the DCC controller to the track and that's it, you have just wired your oval!
I use, and highly recommend the NCE Powercab DCC system. It's easy to connect, (two wires) easy to program, and easy to use. The entire DCC system is in one small, hand-held unit. A procab costs about $200, but you can sometimes find discounts.
If you want to learn more about DCC, an excellent way to do so is to read the book, "Basic DCC Wiring" by Mike Polsgrove. You can order a copy from the same site I recommended for "Getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson, in my prior response.
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/products/books

Good luck, & Have Fun!

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts